Cory breeding?

Crackhead Johny

My sterbs breed, my green lasers breed, my equis breed (the guy at the LFS says they have not been bred in the US but I'm sure that is BS as they seem happy to breed).

The problem is the duplicarious. They do not seem to care about breeding and are in the same 55 as the rest. The internet says they are hard to breed. It is looking like the internet is right. Even with a 55 full of hormones from other breeding corys they are indifferent.

Due to low (like 1 per brood on the ones who do breed) survival rates I'm setting up a 20 long as a breeder. I'm currently nuking it with copper after derping and putting in plants from a tank with snails. I'm wondering if I will have to use water from the 55 to get all the hormones?

Once I have it ready maybe take a gallon from the 55 and put it in the refrigerator to cool it before adding?

Oh, pea puffers. I have one full of eggs that fails to care about the other puffer in the tank. I think the 3rd got murdered (it is a puffer thing, you wouldn't understand). Maybe grow 5 more out in another tank?

some corys prefer cooler water than others and some prefer softer water too.  Its possible the duplicarious is one of those that prefers a different type of water. 

you could try a large water change that is cooler than the tank water to try and jump start a breeding session.  It works for some corys.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been breeding duplicareus for a while now. My original batch were wild caught and took a few years before they started breeding for me even though I received them as adults. But after tank-raising several generations, they seem to spawn fine. Definitely not as frequent as most other cories I have bred before, only spawning 1-3 times per year. They mostly spawn during the summer or after summer for me but I have experienced them spawning for me during the winter as well. I have a couple of fries being raised even now.

• 3 months later...

I have never heard of violent corys. They are all supposed to gentle. Happy little aquarium clowns.

My fowleri seem to be. Lots of aggressive chasing to the point of killing other fowleri (I have gone from ~13 to ~6. the population now seems to be stable with each having its own area in the 55. so the attacks seem to have stopped). One was even chewed to bits. 2 were killed by a nitrate spike.

They seem to care less about other corys in the tank any pursuit is short. With their own they seem to have issues. 

Are there aggressive corys or are mine just being abnormal?

• 2 weeks later...

Ah.

Well I separated out one with a chewed face just now as well as a messed up green laser (my breeding female %$#@!!!).  I'm hoping the abundant plant growth is why my large herd of greens has not been seen in a long time but I fear it is the fowleris. 

I suspect the hormones from the other corys may be setting them off then.