Corner matten vs sponge filters

I currently have a 10-gallon with RCS and a few Amanos. I'm expanding into a 20 gallon long shortly and taking the time to make sure I have it set up correctly. In my 10, I currently have 2 sponge filters that are doing a great job. The shrimps really like hanging out on them. 

I'm considering a corner matten for the new tank, to give greater grazing surface, but am not completely sold on the idea. 

Is there a benefit to one over the other?

I really like any form of HMF. It gives you a way to add and remove water with out stiring up the tank. Also i really like being able to siphon it a bit during a WC and not having to take it out every couple months. The over abundance of surface allowes the bacteria to quickly colonize in the event of an ammonia spike. Lastly they just look a lot cleaner in the tank.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, MNCarpenter said:

I really like any form of HMF. It gives you a way to add and remove water with out stiring up the tank. Also i really like being able to siphon it a bit during a WC and not having to take it out every couple months. The over abundance of surface allowes the bacteria to quickly colonize in the event of an ammonia spike. Lastly they just look a lot cleaner in the tank.

Agreed for all of the above-stated reasons!  And there is no reason you can't have both!!!  You could quickly start up your new tank by adding one of the existing sponge filters to the new 20L with the Matten Filter in it.  And replacing one of the sponges in your existing tank with a new one!

Thats how I start my tanks. I keep a small dual sponge filter in a healthy tank and swap one of the sponges to the new tank. I also added a sponge filter to my tiger tank that i tried using 20ppi foam for the hmf. It didn't filter the fine stuff out of the water so the sponge took care of it in no time. I know u didn't ask but so far I like the 30ppi the best. 45 seems to hold everything on the surface and im worried it will clog too fast defeating the Best thing about HMF's no matiance.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 40g breeder with two 45ppi in each side I have about 500 shrimp and its been running over a year with no problems I went with 45ppi because I didn't want baby getting inside it and die. I have never had to pull one out for cleaning.