Rid-X

ctaylor3737

So saw a post on Facebook about someone using Rid-x septic treatment in shrimp tanks? ??

Trying to find information on this, I would never do no matter what I read but figured it would Be an interesting topic

There is a giant thread on MFK about the use of "probiotics" including various organic septic products that basically add lots of good bacteria to breakdown waste. The OP indicated he was able to reduce water changes by 50%.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?536531-The-Use-of-Probiotics-in-Aquaculture

Subtilisin (proteolytic enzyme) and Calcium carbonate (Limestone)are the ingredients. I have some lowkeys speed sand and it looks like kinda of rid x "Ancient Chinese secret". http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=brands&id=18001027

Oh goodness, although as appealing as it sounds to reduce the amount of w/c that I do for my tanks I don't think I'll be participating in adding Rid-X to my tanks. I've read on multiple forums that patience is a must in this kind of hobby and also the many mishaps that occur when people try to take short cuts. Plus with shrimp they don't particularly contribute a lot of waste to the tanks do they? Unless well...you have like a couple hundred of them in a bare tank, except for maybe a marimo ball or something--then it could be beneficial to use such additives. But in a heavily planted tank? Iono~~~

From all the reading I just did I'd say it's just as safe to use as other stuff we use to start tanks and at 1/3 of the cost. I'm going to look in to this some more.

I think food particles and decaying plant matter contribute to the main causes of sludge build up in shrimp tanks. Easily reduced by mts nerites and ottos. There is a website that sells prodiotica for water column though I think I put it under my DIY food thread for fish. Lol. I would trust those more than rid x for septic tanks or anuhong to do with heavy duty plumbing save acid as well

De nitro, bt-9, old sea mud and bio plus dose all that on a bacterial level. Rid x most likely dose the same thing it's not something that I'll try but it's interesting what people come up with.

Yea I agree it's interesting but with the cost of shrimp I'll keep the septic sewer experiment to a not lol. Its fascinating but I'm not nearly smart enough with chemicals to try lol. I'll trust what others have proved already