Any one uses Seachem Purigen in shrimp tank?

JamesHe

Hi. I currently use alder cones and catappa leaves to help maintain my current ph. If I were to use purigen, would this removes the acids/tannins from the water causing my ph to rise?

I use purigen in a few of my shrimp tanks along with alder cones and leaves and do not have a problem with ph swings. I also do regular water changes and my shrimps breed like crazy. I Run an eheim 2215 filter (sponges & bio-media) and an ac20 which just has purigen in it in my 12g tank. The more acidic the water is the more I have to relpace catappa leaves. I'm more concerned with tds and gh than ph anyways. My tank is also heavily planted. What kind of shrimp are you keeping?

• 1 month later...

Several layers of panty hose if the beads fall out. + wash them

I have high nitrates according to the liquid api test. If purigen is so effective and can lower the nitrate levels significantly, would the extra clean water be too much of a change for my fish (tetras, endlers, etc) + (cherry) shrimp?

Removing the nitrates will not bother anything you might have in the tank. The purigen works very well for me to remove nitrates, all the tanks I use it in nitrates stay at 0ppm. They won't be removed overnight it will take some time for the purigen to work.