Reliable pH Meter

I have a digital aquatics reef keeper controller that I use an American Marine pinpoint ph probe with.

I recalibrate about once a month.  I leave it in the tank permanently only removing it to calibrate.  It is rarely off target prior to recalibration.

I bought it at the end of Jan 2017.  Still works great and will replace with the same probe if it ever goes bad which all ph probes will.

if you do not have a controller, then this unit is what I would get.  ~$90 but well worth the money if you want reliability in your ph readings.

https://www.amazon.com/American-Marine-PINPOINT-Monitor-Calibration/dp/B000255MH4/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519141120&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=digital+aquatics+ph+monitor

8 hours ago, Memphis118 said:

If you have the money, the Apex System with the PH probe works wonders. You can also do a lot of other things on it as well. It's what i've been using

Thanks @Memphis118 !  I love my shrimp but not quite that much.  ;0)  Ideally this would be something that I could utilize in brewing beer/winemaking as well, but I may end up with something dedicated for each.  

• 1 month later...

I have had terrible luck with yellow meters. So you are telling me the neutral test water has a PH of 17.. right..

I asked my father "the garbage dragon" if he had any PH meters laying around and he gave me this. 

Not sure how good it is. The cable connects with a real BNC connector so I'm guessing at one point it was quality.

I think I will need to replace the screen.

5ac93236a40b2_PHmeter.jpg.8c49782bc3426597ad9769bddc1b5aca.jpg

• 1 month later...

I got an Apera 60 pH meter off Amazon.  At first it was great but now about 6 months later it does not want to read below 7.  I've tried recalibrating it but it's taking 10 minutes or more to get down to 6.5 area.  I've always stored it in storage solution.  

Does the pinpoint work well as a portable meter?  I'd like to check 6 different tanks and use it for mixing WC as well.  If used in this fashion would I get a year out of the probe if stored properly?

My pinpoint stays constantly in my 40B, and the cord that comes with the probe is really long (probably 10 feet) so I am able to check all of my other rack tanks and any containers as needed.  I'm getting long life out of probes (> 1.5 years) and when I test with calibration solution it hits 4 and 7 pretty much on the nose.

5 hours ago, Shrimple minded said:

My pinpoint stays constantly in my 40B, and the cord that comes with the probe is really long (probably 10 feet) so I am able to check all of my other rack tanks and any containers as needed.  I'm getting long life out of probes (> 1.5 years) and when I test with calibration solution it hits 4 and 7 pretty much on the nose.

Ditto.  I keep my probe(pinpoint) in one of my 10 gallons all the time.  when I want to check the other tanks I just move it over since all of my tanks are on a rack and like Shrimple minded said the cord is long.  I have had mine since the end of Jan 2017.  It is still just as accurate as it was when it was new.  I will buy this probe again when I need to replace it.