keeping CRS sucsessfully

Hunter

Hello All

Just received 10 CRS from friend in California.

All look healthy and very active.

Currently they all under drip acclimation, oh also I kept  bag with shirimps floating in their tank for  40 min, to balance temperature.

Now friend told me that his tank is TDS 210 ph 6.8 Temp 76-78

All good in my tank except TDS it's only 80

(I checked water in the bag it's 340)

Tank is cycled, water we have here is well., so after filtration I get TDS 46

In the tank it's 80 after staying in the 10gallon with 1/2" Amazonia substrate, small pile of lava rocks, and 7" Malayan drift wood

How do I make sure that tomorrow morning they are not all dead?

From TDS deference

20180502_213944.jpg
20180502_213927.jpg

Use ro/di water --150-180tds for crs. pH 6.3-6.8...water in the bag is never accurate btw. Recommend liquid remineralizer;sl aqua blue wizard..wanting to try mosuras/shrimpdaddy. Keep up with water changes 10-15% and your good tbh. IDK if they will survive with that low of a TDS.

Thanks for reply all.

Using API GH&kH test, here is my results:

kH - 3

gH - i'm not even sure

In instructions it is stated:

3. Holding the bottle vertically, add GH Test Solution,  
one drop at a time. Be sure to count the number of drops being added.
4. Cap the test tube and invert several times after  
each drop.
5. The test is completed when the water in the test
tube, after having been shaken, turns from orange  <- I don't see orange, on the 4's drop it get's very light green (test expired 08/15)
to green. If you have difficulty discerning the color  
after the first  drop of test solution is added, remove
the cap from the test tube and, while holding it over
a white background, look down through the tube.

So far I have one dead shrimp, I'm sure I will have more ... 😞

For the Gh try Sera gh test...

I never can read gh with api test... :)

Hello Hunter.

I had an issue with my TDS Levels and GH around a month ago in one of my TB tanks. My Parameters were doing great so I decided to not check them for a while (two months maybe).

Low and behold after neglecting water changes, and 1/4 of water evaporating from the Aquarium TDS was 247, and GH of 11. I was freaking out. My favorite Red Bolt died (it was super pink in Color). I feared that more Shrimp were going to die. 

I decided to drop my TDS as much as possible. After that days water Change my new tds Level was down to 150. And GH was back down to 6. I used RO water with 14 tds and SS GH+ to give me a Little under 100 tds

I took a Chance on killing my Shrimp by doing this. It worked though with no deaths. Next day I had at least 10 molts laying on the soil. 

I feel that if you drip acclimate your Shrimp till the Parameters in the water they came in to your water. You should be ok.  Just consider when buying Shrimp, you are always going to lose some in the beginning due to stress, and a Change in Parameters. 

• 4 weeks later...

I’m a little surprised theirs were living in that high of a TDS? Maybe half of it was waste in tje water column. 

Salty Shrimp GH+ is a good mineralizer and I would be shooting for @140 +/-20 and GH between 4-6. Adding SS will jelp tourahrimp thrive and molt better too

Really important to prep your tank with the right parameters well before they arrive. There is already some shipping stress, and the drastically diff parameters can kill the shrimp. No One likes dead shrimpies :( Its good that you came here to figure things out - I myself use Salty shrimp gh+ to reach my desired gh/kh/ph/tds.

• 2 weeks later...

All of my CRS vanished 2 weeks ago. No corpses, just gone ~6 of them (amazing white with very little red). I never got them to breed. I suspect 7.0 PH (running ada. not sure why it is not taking the PH down) was the problem.

Oddly my yellow neos blew up at the same time. Every day there are more and more shrimps berried. I'm worried that by the end of the year this little 5 gal will be a solid lump of shrimp. 

As it is a small tank I suspect the temp spike nuked my cards (it got warm here).

Thank you All for input!

Very important information, thanks again.

So colony of 12 CRS SS and S+ are doing very well.

Out of 12 I may have 5 females and they all berried, today on the spinach leaf I saw 3 probably 2mm in size baby shrimps.

I will keep an eye and see how they behave.

From May till now I probably did only 2 WC, about 30%. RO water with GH+ raised TDS to 120 pH 7.2, and I calibrate the temperature 73F

Feeding when available spinach and cucumber. From processed foods I use Color by Borneo Wild, AZOO MAX Breed and Meticulous snowflake grain.

Today I finally received my gH tester by Sera ;) (3 weeks wait time)

3dGH.

I know it's a little low, but I'm just waiting to see how baby shrimps are doing and on next WC I will add more GH+

20180612_232803[1].jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello, small update and question.

After I start doing WC with buffered GH+ my CRS start feeling much better.

On the 2nd  month I list one more shrimp, so in total I have 8 adult shrimps now, and 40+ (maybe more baby's all over)

Quick question, when CRS looses white coloration, what is causing that, anybody know?

Not all are loosing white color...

I had the same problem with my PRL CRS a while back. I belive its a water parameter/quality issue. The minerals get used up after a couple of weeks and there is no fresh supply and their white fades.

The pH should be on the acidic side as well just like most Caradina lower is better. A pH of 6.8 should be about as high as you want.

The babies always pop out fresh and white but without regular mineral replenishment they too will fade over time. You should do 10-20 % water changes every 2-3 weeks for a couple of months and see how they respond...and lower your pH a little.