Seltzer Water to Kill SCUDS?

chan011

has anyone tried this method? i found two SCUD's over the weekend in my shrimp tank and id rather try and get rid of them now before the babies hatch.

I found this club soda/ seltzer water method that seems to make sense that i might try.

http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/15895-using-seltzer-water-to-nuke-your-tank/

• chan011 changed the title to Seltzer Water to Kill SCUDS?
  • 4 weeks later...

You CAN use seltzer water although only if your scud population is very small. 

I’ve done it twice, once successfully treating a tank with only a couple scuds, and once unsuccessfully in a tank with thousands. 

If you decide to go with it, replace almost all your water with seltzer and leave the filters on. Be aware that hard seltzer might mess up buffering substrate. Treat everying else you can with direct peroxide. If you don’t feel like you’re going completely overboard, you aren’t being thorough enough. Scuds are the cockroaches of any tank and warrant paranoia.

Also, anytime you see a scud, kill it with tweezers. If you start to see them frequently, you lost.

Best of luck!

EDIT: I think this goes without saying but yes, you have to remove anything to want to keep alive from the tank before seltzer (plants are ok). You are trying to make the tank and everything associated with it a temporary maelström of death.

On 8/23/2018 at 10:03 AM, barvinok said:

Never had scuds but as I understand you have to remove all you shrimp and snails from a tank before treatment.  Could you remove scuds manually?

this was the first time i had SCUDS and from I have read, they bury themselves in the substrate and lay their eggs in the substrate so it could be quite tedious to remove them manually over time depending on how long they have been there/if there are any eggs

1 hour ago, chan011 said:

thanks. i ended up doing it. didn't use that much seltzer water 2L for 29 gallons. took care of all of killing everything. didn't have many scuds that I found in the tank in the first place. seems to work fine. 

Keep your eyes peeled for any new scuds for the next 4-6 weeks. It's easy for a couple to survive the seltzer and then you have to start over (especially with 2L in a 29gal). Fingers crossed that you got them all!

thanks i actually ended up breaking down the tank completely and rescaping it because i didn't realize my water perimeters were so wrong for caridina's. so far so good.

17 hours ago, aotf said:

Keep your eyes peeled for any new scuds for the next 4-6 weeks. It's easy for a couple to survive the seltzer and then you have to start over (especially with 2L in a 29gal). Fingers crossed that you got them all!

I tried adding 4ppm of ammonia to my tanks that had scuds and it didn't work....so I just drained them and will let them dry out and pray that does the job.

13 hours ago, OblongShrimp said:

I tried adding 4ppm of ammonia to my tanks that had scuds and it didn't work....so I just drained them and will let them dry out and pray that does the job.

Consider treating everything with peroxide (put it in a spray bottle and soak everything a couple times). It’s not expensive and simply drying everything out likely won’t be sufficient, scuds are insanely hardy.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Crackhead Johny said:

How did you get them?

I have looked at ads on craigslist and have a few tanks I'd like them in (not shrimp tanks). I think they and the albino hoplo cats would be great friends.

There’s a vendor selling them on Aquabid pretty regularly FWIW.

In know in MN there is a Craigslister who sells them in the spring in 1 (5?) gal pails for ~20$ so you can salt your ponds with them to attract ducks. Interesting that this is something you can get accidentally.

People have said that daphnia show up in tanks because water companies cannot filter out the eggs, so I wondered if scuds worked the same way.