Experimenting New Probiotics Blend

Shrimpy Daddy

Hi all,

Recently, I was very busy with many experiments and have not been visiting this forum. So how is everyone?

Started last week, I began to perform testing on my new probiotics blend. This probiotics blend was already used in my existing tanks for awhile but it is pretty hard to tell it's result (other than water clarity is crystal clear and shrimps and fish love to eat it). As such, I decided to perform a controlled environment test by setting the test condition to the extreme. This includes using pico-size tank to keep sensitive shrimps with inadequate life-support system and introduce shrimps into the tank after 3 days of cycling.

DSCF2322-FIXED-2.jpg

The tank has been running for 7 days and the results are looking promising. You may find my daily journal entry in my blog and the URLs are:

Hope these information are useful to you.

Cheers.

Shrimpy Daddy

Great experiment! Shrimps in four days, huh? Sounds pretty awesome but all that dosing might be too much for me to handle...

Also, not saying that it is easy, but if you replicated the entire setup and procedure on another tank without adding the probiotics, I think that would be an even better experiment.

The daily nutrients dosing is because I am using inert substrate. The reason for inert substrate is I wanted to keep the environment controlled so that nothing will interfere with the test result. ;)

As for the daily probiotic dosing, I am adding it as their food source. Isn't it normal to feed you shrimp daily? Or you don't feed your shrimps that often?

I see. Aqua soil is just easier for me but I definitely understand your reasoning. By the way, I just wanted to mention, since you talked about shrimps dying after the soil loses its nutrients, that I think most Taiwanese breeders just clean everything out and set up with new soil every year or so and just keep rotating tanks like that. You've got a point on feeding. I do add a bit of powdered food to some of my tanks daily, or at least I try to, haha. So have you been not very successful getting shrimps to acclimate to uncycled tanks and thus want to see if probiotics will help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I just wanted to mention, since you talked about shrimps dying after the soil loses its nutrients, that I think most Taiwanese breeders just clean everything out and set up with new soil every year or so and just keep rotating tanks like that." <---- That's a waste of money and time. With proper care, the nutrients will recharge back.  All my tanks (10 + 1) never revamped, unless I am changing a new tank and cabinet/rack. 

"So have you been not very successful getting shrimps to acclimate to uncycled tanks and thus want to see if probiotics will help?" <---  The experiment is for finding out the probiotic can remove toxin as effective or better than usual nitrogen-fixing bacteria, which is why I put the shrimps in on the 4th day, where the usual nitrogen-fixing bacteria (nitrosoma and nitrobacter) will take at least 2 to 3 weeks to establish the colony (with proper seeding). The reason for the relatively more sensitive shrimp ("No Entry" sign Hinomaru Panda KK) in the tank is to prove that there are no toxic and the environment is conducive for their survival even with lowest tech equipment.

In addition, I am trying to find out whether the probiotics can be served as their main diet, which is clean live food, instead of traditional shrimp foods that can be water polluting at times.

Been following with interest ;)

Do you know what microbes are in the probiotics you are using? I just ask because I'm curious. I use a powdered "sludge remover" made by Microbe-Lift for ponds, and I really wish I knew what was in it.

I also admit that I am not certain that I could keep up with your methods. I agree that throwing out the substrate once a year is wasteful. But I'm not very good at strict schedules!

Been following with interest ;)

Do you know what microbes are in the probiotics you are using? I just ask because I'm curious. I use a powdered "sludge remover" made by Microbe-Lift for ponds, and I really wish I knew what was in it.

I also admit that I am not certain that I could keep up with your methods. I agree that throwing out the substrate once a year is wasteful. But I'm not very good at strict schedules!

I know what are in the blend. However, when comes to bacteria, under the same scientific name, it still have the strand code. Strand code will never be listed as it is trade-secret, except when they are used for medical usage.

Actually strict schedule is not that bad. Just think of feeding/dosing them is like you are feeding food to dogs or cats. LOL!!!

Ah, I see! So what species? Still just curious. I like to know these things even if they are functionally useless knowledge.

See, my rabbits wake me up in the morning to be fed, and they badger me when I come in at night for more food. They can't be ignored! I know, I just have to get into the habit of feeding everyone at the same time. I am trying to not overfeed my crays, though, since I am pretty sure I used to overfeed my shrimp.

It's a very long list and I have to search for it. LOL!!! Not like those dry shrimp-specialty bacteria powder that has only three or four types.

" I am trying to not overfeed my crays, though, since I am pretty sure I used to overfeed my shrimp. " <--- This is also the reason why I am trying to test whether the bacteria can keep them full and potentially remove over-feeding issue. ;)

Sorry I wasn't clear - I mean the ammonia that it starting the cycle.

It's ammonia that is converted to nitrite and then nitrite is converted to nitrate so where is the initial ammonia coming from?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have started a third test on the probiotic blend. This time, I am using the "notorious" ADA Amazonia Aquasoil that leeches ammonium (not ammonia). Hopefully, I can cycle it within a week or so. You can find my daily update from my blog and below are the entries for the first two days:

Cheers.

Shrimpy Daddy

Hello everyone!!!

Today is "The Day" (Day 7) and I have put shrimps into the revamped tank that is using ADA Amazonia Aquasoil. I have posted the update on my blog and you can find it here: http://www.shrimpydaddy.com/2014/10/probiotics-saga-extreme-limit-day-7-day.html

Cheers.

Shrimpy Daddy