Shrimp Proof Overflow?

Hello,

I was ordering my light for my PRL tank today and I was offered a custom reef ready tank at cost because the person decided to leave the hobby before taking possession of the tank.

Does anyone use a tank with an overflow? How would you shrimp proof the overflow without making it hideous?

Thanks,

Ron

I've never used an overflow myself, but maybe wire mesh? Have it siliconed to the overflow then have a plastic cap on top. Kinda like a snorkel. Does that make sense? I have it pictured in my mind but can't describe it well...

If I don't see wrong, yours is not really a overflow+sump combo right? 

The water suction at those teeth are very strong and if you put a mesh or sponge behind the teeth, adult shrimps will stuck in between the teeth and die. Since yours is not using sump tank, I will suggest you leave them as it is and scoop them out of the filter compartment every week when you are changing water. Don't worry of the shrimp die in the filter compartment. I have at least 30 baby to teenage shrimps to scoop from filter sock of each tank every week and most of them survive. If they can even survive in filter sock, I think they will do well in filter compartment.

However, if you put mesh or sponge in front of the teeth, the aesthetic aspect will be hideous and you can't skim the protein film from water surface.

If you don't want to silicone or somehow fasten a piece of stainless steel mesh, I think a sponge is your best bet.

If I don't see wrong, yours is not really a overflow+sump combo right? 

The water suction at those teeth are very strong and if you put a mesh or sponge behind the teeth, adult shrimps will stuck in between the teeth and die. Since yours is not using sump tank, I will suggest you leave them as it is and scoop them out of the filter compartment every week when you are changing water. Don't worry of the shrimp die in the filter compartment. I have at least 30 baby to teenage shrimps to scoop from filter sock of each tank every week and most of them survive. If they can even survive in filter sock, I think they will do well in filter compartment.

However, if you put mesh or sponge in front of the teeth, the aesthetic aspect will be hideous and you can't skim the protein film from water surface.

The picture was just to illustrate the overflow teeth. There will be a sump but it maybe easier just to use a SS mesh to guard the pipe, as fishyd suggested, in the overflow box and just fish them out when needed. Or let them live there, cause my reef tank overflow box grows some good algae.

Then you better put the mesh in front of the teeth. Or else, your adult shrimps will frequently get trap in between the teeth before the mesh. My setups were mesh stick behind teeth (I care about the aesthetic) and losing at least 1 adult per tank once every one or two week. Also, make sure the mesh gap is not too small, or you will not be able to skim the biofilm/oil film at water surface (unless you increase the water surface agitation on the main tank).

really depends on how many GPH your return pump will be. no need for lots of GPH with shrimp. 

also having a large spread like that picture will also keep the pressure from being to great, vs say if you had 2" length of horizontal openings.

i haven't talked to Concept about it yet for for new tank I am planning with a overflow it was thinking of getting them to put a bracket behind the teeths for sheet of poret foam. Did they have any suggestion on how to shrimp proof it?

i haven't talked to Concept about it yet for for new tank I am planning with a overflow it was thinking of getting them to put a bracket behind the teeths for sheet of poret foam. Did they have any suggestion on how to shrimp proof it?

I didn't ask them, their brains are tuned for salt.  They probably expect me to do another reef tank....LOL

There is another option and not even use the overflow; there are 2 returns one on either side of the overflow, I could just use them as my intake and return for a canister and keep the water level below the overflow teeth.

I only got a quick glimpse of the tank but it looked similar in size to my current reef tank.....so this could be my 70+ gallon shrimp tank....oh boy.