New Camera

forumsnow

Looking to buy a new camera in the $600 range. I want to get the best camera I can so used or refurbished is ok with me. Will be using it for vacations and everyday picture taking so would like just a decent combo at first. Will be buying a macro lens down the road. Look forward to your input.

I am a Nikon and Cannon Fan. I have a Nikon D3200 and love it. But without a macro lens and a good macro lens,

you just can't get good close up sharp shrimp photos. You also have to consider a good, heavy duty tripod, and if

you shoot a lot indoors, you would want a plug in adapter, so you don't have to worry about batteries. You want a

backup battery or two for sure, and some basic filters. Case, and two good lenses. So you might look at a package

type of deal. Cannon T5's are great cameras too.

Once you have a good basic setup in place, then you can add to it as you go along. But a good macro lens will

cost you at least 300 to 400, and a great macro lens will cost even more.

The Nikon and Cannon cameras shoot extremely well on automatic if you don't know much about photography or

just have basic knowledge. It is best to get an off camera flash too. If you have the photography knowledge the Nikon

and Cannon will also do what you want too with a ton of features and setting and ability to set everything manual.

Just my opinion here too. There are some good photos on this forum, so I am sure there are some good helpful

opinions on helping steer you in the right direction.

Yeah, both of those are very good. You would be happy with either one of them. I am kind of partial to Nikon,

because of lenses and wireless technology, but there are tons who wouldn't buy anything but a Cannon.

I am a Canon 60D user with no macro lens due to high price but using macro tubes which are much affordable. Maybe you can buy a DSLR first without macro lens and try your best with macro tubes like me but of course for a sharp and stunning macro, macro lens are something like mandatory.

I am interested as well, as I plan to purchase a camera around the same price range soon.

i have a canon rebel xti dslr.  i bought it used on ebay in 2012 for like $500, but it came with extra batteries and extra goodies.  Takes nice pictures.  From what i have experienced , it's all about the lens you are using, but I'm sure you can find something nice for $600.  B&H Photo usually has good deals and also have a used/refurbished section.

Went with the Nikon d5200, got it this afternoon super excited. Didn't really have any time to play around but snapped a couple quick pics on stock settings. Have included a pic taken with my tablet for comparison.

DSC 0007

royalcontest1

Nice!  Add a nice macro lens and you will be ready to take great shrimp photos! Congrats!