Perfect substrate?

Hey folks,

I'm changing my aquarium from fish one to shrimp one. I've already got plants, Java moss and little stones as a gravel. On most pictures of aquariums accommodating shrimps of any kind I saw gravel which looks like special made for them. My question is, is it necessary for shrimp to survive or is it boosting their quality of living? :)

Thanks in advance,

Jacob :)

Neocaridina or Caridina dont require specific types of substrate.  Special substrate is often used for Caridina for its buffering capability but is deffinitely not required.  For all shrimp one thing to consider is the fact that their primary food intake is from grazing.  Shrimp sands and other special substrates are very porous and provide a large surface area for bacteria to develop that the shrimp will graze from.  If you are only keeping Neos the substrate really does not make much of a difference.

am too new to give advice, so just chiming in... :) My neo tank is 7.6 ph even with wood, IAL and a ton of plants but the neos are doing great. My substrate is floramax (cheap enough but good for the plants - so I have been lead to believe to separate me and my money :) ) and I have some decorative black gravel sprinkled on top, just because.

And FYI - about the '2 is enough tanks' I will warn you, soon every spare 'spot', every nook and cranny ... will suddenly seem like the perfect place for a nano tank ;) 

• 2 weeks later...

I have plans for two tanks in place (need to wait for my coworker to come back from vacation so I can stop working 6 days a week) and yet I find myself arguing that I could totally fit more tanks into my room if I could just rearrange things a bit more.