Ammonia still too high

Hi guys about three to four weeks ago I opened up a bag of Ada Aqua soil and put it in a five gallon bucket filled with water and an air stone. I periodically did water changes on the bucket. About three days ago I took the substrate out and put it In a tank that had sand in it. The tank has been running for 6 months before this so it was full of biological media. I tested parameters today and the ammonia was at 1 ppm. How much longer is the ada soil going to keep leaching ammonia?

http://www.shrimpspot.com/index.php?/topic/2236-cycling-a-tank-with-ada-amazonia/

Read that thread.

"The tank has been running for 6 months before this so it was full of biological media. " 

Were you dosing ammonia daily to keep the biological system running that whole time?

Well that stinks :( I tested ammonia this morning after adding alkaline water and it went down to .25 so I still have a little hope… if this doesn't work out can anyone recommend some good substrates?

Give it time you will need to do water changes. If you choose to change substrate. What is your goal to keep this would influence the decission.

I'd do a 100% w/c with ro and pick up a bottle of seachem stability or mulm bomb the tank with and established sponge. This should eat the rest of the ammonia and you should start to see nitrate build up, this means your biological is eating ammonia. A few more w/c to get out the nitrate and you good to go.

You should continue to use alkaline water until your cylce is complete then switch out to remineralized RO.  Alkaline water will encourage the soil to leech the amonia out, switching to RO will just take the soil longer to release the amonia.