1st water change need reassurance

Well I got my tds meter and gh/kh test kit and :eek: !

Tds 430

Gh 4 drops

Kh 3 drops

So I stopped at the market on my way home and got two gallons of distilled water. The tds of that read 0. So I think I bought the right thing.

Why did I think a small tank of shrimp would be less stressful than more fish? :unsure:

Background info. 10 gal planted, no ferts the last 4-5 months, drained and refilled with primed tap water 3 weeks ago just before I got the 20 blue pearls. 5 of which are now berried! Rest of the parameters are 8, 0,0, and 10 .

I'm prolly anxious over nothing but I've gotten attached to the little buggers and I don't want to kill them but doing something stupid.

So the plan is to change 1 gallon in the morning. 1 drop/sec. And then repeat in 3 days till I get the tds and nitrates down.

Can someone just tell me that the kids will be fine with this? Please?

Signed,

Paranoid first time shrimper

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

i would not change that much at a time. they can get tds shock and it could cause at the least the females to drop eggs and at most death. i would do 1/2 gallon or so and drip in water over half hour or so. and do it again for the next few days till its in the right range.

Your TDS are pretty high but your GH and KH are on the low side for Neos so I would be careful adding to much distilled water without something to add back GH and KH.  I would be more concerned about keeping your GH and KH at appropriate levels (I would target GH of 8 and KH of 4) than worrying about the TDS.  If your shrimp are berried they are happy right now so I would be reluctant to change much. 

What are the reading of your tap water?

I think I would stick with tap unless you have a remineralizer to raise the GH and KH

So just finished my super speedy 12 hour water change. ..

Ended up changing a gallon of tap water and everyone seems to be ok. All berries still attached and mom's and the other kids are roaming around doing their normal shrimpy stuff. Crossing fingers that they're the same in the morning. My tds is now down to 380. Gh 4 kh 3. Should I repeat this again in 3 days or wait till I get something to bring up the gh &kh?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

For neos I would recommend Salty Shrimp Shrimp Mineral GH/KH+.  I use it on my Neo tanks and it raises the GH and KH in a ratio of 1 GH/.5 KH.  I prefer to start with RO water so I have more control over what is in my water (see my article here) but you could just add it to your tap water too if you would prefer to stick with tap since your tap is on the softer side.