oystershell?

I use oyster shells to help my crays shed does anyone use this for shrimp. I get a bag of them really cheap at roual king it's originally ment for chicken feed. I have a tank of baby crays and a nice colony of neos in there as well so I know it's shrimp safe.

I have seashells in my Neo shrimp tank.  I use one big clam shell as a dinner plate and they eat off it now on a regular basis. I check my PH levels every day to see if there is any difference and so far none.  Shrimps need calcium to help in molting same as crayfish.  My PH in this tank was only 6.2 which I felt was too low for the Neos, so popped in a few shells to help increase the PH naturally.  The shrimps love crawling over the shells and syphoning up the poop after they eat is great.

Have the shells helped increase the pH for you well? Also, how did you clean them initially? I vaguely remember hearing someone say they could bring diseases into a tank since they're from natural critters, but that may have been from saltwater. (And why this would be different than crushed coral, also from natural critters, I don't know!)

not to hijack this thread, but in answer to your question, I picked them up off the beach, boiled them, laid them out in the sun to dry then when I got them home from FL, I boiled and scrubbed them again with a brush then just put them in the tank....they were very

clean.

I just noticed 3 new molts today in this tank, so maybe soon I will have a berried shrimp (can't tell which ones are female with these) so far my PH is still at 6.4