LED vs Floresent

How much are you looking to spend?  I Like current sateliite because they are afforable and customizable...  You can pick the amount of light you get   

I got my sister this one for her 55 gal. for xmas and it grows her plants fine   http://www.amazon.com/Current-USA-Satellite-Freshwater-Aquarium/dp/B00CMFFMS6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423328332&sr=8-1&keywords=current+satellite+plants

For a little more money this one has a timer and  sunrise sunset lighting  (the lights come on gradually over 15 mins.     This is the one I plan to order for my new tank   http://www.amazon.com/Satellite-Plus-PRO-Freshwater-Controller/dp/B00QVHJQD8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1423328474&sr=8-3&keywords=current+satellite+pro

I also have a finnex LED on one tank that works fine but is so bright it shocks the shrimp when I first turn it on heh.   I believe it was cheaper than the sateliites.     Amazon and That fish place  have been the cheapest for me.  

Edit.

Found the Finnex I have.   Looks like the price went up since I ordered it   http://www.amazon.com/Finnex-FugeRay-Planted-Aquarium-Moonlights/dp/B00GH9HS80/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419894455&sr=8-1&keywords=finnex+planted+%2B   

• 2 weeks later...

Have the Satellite Pro Plus on a 20L and it's FANTASTIC,  If you want less light you simply turn down the intensity.  Red, Green, Blue, and White are all adjustable independently in 1% increments.  Too bright - drop the output to 50%.  Then you can increase it gradually.  

As for LED vs. any other kind of light - I've got them all and the LED is simply untouchable.  The situation today kind of reminds me of 10 years ago when there was a debate regarding film vs. digital cameras.  Those invested in film defended what they had invested in until there was virtually no place left to get supplies.  This is what we'll see with Fluorescent.  At the same time those who got a high end Digital SLR could not understand why the film folks didn't "see the light".  Well that's how it is with LED.  Once you get a quality (there are bad ones) LED fixture you'll "see the light" and will never look back at phosphor coated glass tubes again.   It's digital all the way baby.  

Show me a Fluorescent light you can adjust the red, green, blue, or intensity on in 1% increments - or have it ramp up in intensity to the daylight settings over a 15 minute period and ramp down to just 1% intensity for the night time.  

i got aqueon led light few days ago it doesn't  produces so much heat.  and its really bright hope my plants grow fast 

I use one on my 10g it works well. I run two tubes one day bright and one color max.

I have an Odyssea T5HO 30 inch double bulb laying across my 3 x 10 gallon tanks.  I don't see any noticeable heat coming from it (I have a glass piece under it so the water doesn't splash up on the bulb)

Maybe the glass is keeping the heat off the water it sits about 6 inch above the water line.  The temp is 72F

I have on my Fluval EBI the Fluval light that came with the box, the tank has a glass lid and my temp in that tank is 73.8F

I can't figure it out....I would have thought the T5HO would create more heat, but its not.