Purigen Recharge process

Soak in a 1:1 bleach:water solution for 24 hours in a non-metallic container in a well ventilated area and away from children. Use regular 8.25% hypochlorite household bleach (non-scented, no dyes, do not use a splash-less bleach). Rinse well, then soak for 8 hours with a solution containing 4 tablespoons of Prime®, or equivalent dechlorinator per cup of water. Rinse well. For freshwater use, soak for 4 hours with a solution containing 2 tablespoon of buffer per cup of water (Discus Buffer®, Neutral Regulator®). 

Am I required to do this step or is it optional?  

For freshwater use, soak for 4 hours with a solution containing 2 tablespoon of buffer per cup of water (Discus Buffer®, Neutral Regulator®). 

If I'm using two purigen bags and swapping them out, what is the best way to store the recharged purigen when it is not in use?

I double ziploc-bagged mine with some water with a heavy dose of prime and placed it in the refrigerator, but it seems to have discolored to a medium shade of grey.

Should I re-soak in prime and rinse prior to use, or do you think I should just discard because of the aforementioned discoloration?

You are welcome.

When soaking with Prime, remove it once your Purigen turns white, but at least 2 hours. To ensure it is totally dechlorinated, after rinse, bring it close to nose and smell. If no chlorine smell, then it is done.

Also store the Purigen in fridge with moist state and not filled with water. Too much water will cause bacteria to grow. :)

What could cause it to go bad? I had a new 100g bag used for 2 weeks, soaked in 1:1 bleach and then the recommended amount of prime/water for 5 hours and when I took it out of the mixture it was dark brownish Gray and smelled rotten. I've recharged purigen from my other aquariums about 30 times in the past year and this was the only time it ever happened