Baby shrimp for the first time ever! :D

maylee

Sorry! I guess I'm just excited. I just saw a tiny baby yellow shrimp in the tank for the first time ever. I've only started shrimp keeping for a little over two months or so. I noticed the first berried shrimp about three weeks ago. Gradually, another shrimp was berried... and then another.. then another.

Finally, tonight I saw a baby shrimp for the first time. If he wasn't on the glass, I don't think I would have caught a glimpse.

Do they take long to mature to a larger size? I'm sure for the time being, they'll spend the majority of their time feeding on biofilm and hiding in the moss though :)

Sorry I don't have any pics. I think I'd have a hard time getting the camera to focus on them.

Congratulations! In my experience, they will grow to noticeable in 3-4 weeks, I don't feed them special baby shrimp or something like that.

Beware of the babies being sucked up into the canister inlet if you're using one.

Congratulations.   This is how they suck you in!!  Now you will hjave to stare into your tank for hours a day watching for berries and babies to get your jolt of adrenaline fix when you see a new one.

Blah. I guess I celebrated too soon. I didn't see any of the babies all day today when I looked. What did I see when I searched the tank though? HYDRAS :(

Not good news.

I finally did see one of the babies a few minutes ago so that's a bit of a relief. In the sense I hope they're good at hiding.

Don't lose hope, if you have a few plants and some moss, the babies love to hide in there. First berried shrimps I had (3 at once) all Lost their eggs at the same time. Thought they dropped since I couldn't find any babies at all. 2 weeks later, there were shrimplets all over the place. So I'd say be patient and wait. If they hatched, they'll be out and about soon :)

Thank you. I do have a few plants and a decent amount of moss. I was more referring to the risk of hydras getting them though :(

I was recommended to use "no planaria" for them and it should be shrimp safe.....

Oh, also, to the earlier comment, I only use a sponge filter in this tank so no inlet :)

I think most of us understand your excitement, as we have been there.

As for the hydra, I think it is a good chance they could kill the babies. As shrimps reproduce so well, losing a few while you get the hyrdas treated should be recoverable.

I used No Planaria and did not have any shrimp losses. I read some stuff on forums, dated years ago, saying fertility could be affected. And some issues with dosing certain plant ferts while treating caused problems.

Based on my experience, I saw a partial dose of No Planaria affect the hydra. I mixed the full dose in a cup of tank water, and when I only poured some of it in, it was already killing the hydra. For safety, also be sure you have some aeration in the tank.

Thanks! I dosed some last night. It seems to work pretty much immediately. I don't see any more hydra so far.

Do you think it is still necessary to continue the second and third doses over the 72 hour period?

I will also do a water change after the 72 hours. How big of a chance do you recommend? Hopefully it won't stress out the shrimps too much....

I don't think you need any more doses.

Next you add carbon filtration to remove the product. With my sponge filtration, I used a spare internal box filter that I had, filled with carbon and floss. Then I had to pick the babies out later. Not fun. Wish I'd tried to shrimp-proof it first, or had a spare HOB.

The water change is more to remove the dead things, as the carbon has adsorbed the product.