Is gh/kh 13 too high for neos?

It is possibly my ph is 7.4 And my kh is 24 and gh is in the 40 range for my tap water until I start using ro water but kh of 13 is too high for neo. I recommend you to get ro water system or buy ro water or distill water from store

And the upper range for Neo's is eight. I would think that I should be able to lower it that much with ial. Kh for Neo's should be 0 to 10. GH should be 4 to 14. I'm not that far off on parameters.

The higher the KH, the harder it is to adjust PH.

That is true, even a half a point might be impossible. I'm going to try a Culligan hf-360, my brother is going to purchase one. I am going to test the results. Once upon a time I took that same filter, I fitted it with hoses/brass fittings, and used it to filter tap water for use in a reef tank. And then later, used that same filter to prepare the water for my very first attempt at Neo's. That was five years ago, a long time. And I never did test the water back then. The shrimp did well, I just got out of the hobby. If the results of the culligan water filter tests are not pleasing, I will be going RO/DI & re-mineralization.

Edited to say, all the fittings/hoses on the filter were so I could just attach it to the sink, and then take it right back off when I was done.

• 2 weeks later...

My tap only has a kh of 5 but the ph is 8. I added tons of peat to the tank and it didn't lower ph at all. With kh 13 I think it would be next to impossible to lower ph with leaves. Controsoil lowers my ph to 6.5, but I switched over to ro water.

Very interesting sidenote here, three days ago I only had a half of an Indian almond leaf in the tank. So I added another half, plus another whole Indian almond leaf. Yesterday, the very next day after adding more leaves, the KH tested at 11. Today it is 10, and I see a lot more activity out of the shrimp. Very active in deed, seriously foraging eating algae wafers, swimming a lot more. I still do not know what the pH is yet, still waiting on that test kit. I am guessing that if the KH is lowered, then pH has been lowered as well. It's funny I wouldn't have thought I could do it with just a few leaves.

Another interesting effect of the extra tannins, they seem to be making my plants grow much better, and a terrible nuisance algae that I've been battling is dying faster than it can grow. My rams horn snails & Malaysian trumpet snails already had the algae on the run, but the last few days it all seems to be just falling off of everything and dying.

It's just two leaves, the water is just barely amber/yellow. It's actually sort of pretty. Other parameters are well within limits, TDS is hovering around 250, nitrates barely detectable...will know ph late this afternoon..things are starting to look very good indeed. Probably still going to get ro, I want tigers & bees too. :-)

Awesome to hear! I'm glad you get good results with the leaves, all kh might not be created equal, I put five leaves in my tank and it didn't do anything. Very cool it seems to help with aglae too.