How do you start over again? Worst case scenario

maylee

what are you feeding your shrimp?

I feed blanched zucchini, kale, amaranth leaves, snowflake, barley, and bacter AE. I switch it around and try to make it as varied as possible. Nowadays, I'll only feed once every few days.  

I had the same issue as you my shrimp kept dying... finally I figure it out it was environmental. I was cleaning my counter tops with 409 then sticking my hands in the tank...ive done it so many times with my fish tanks and they never died. Shrimp are a little more different...

How many shrimp do you have? One of the most common problems that I was guilty of was overfeeding. I had about 20 adult shrimp a dozen baby shrimp and was feeding every  1-3 days and that eventually caused deaths. I stopped feeding all prepared foods except once every two weeks.

I use new, clean nitrile gloves whenever I need to stick my hands in the water. I figured for the shrimps sake plus I'm a bit of a germaphobe that way. 

I definitely overfed if you're saying once every 1-3 days is too much for over 30 shrimp. I was doing the same but for half that many shrimp. I didn't leave food in for more than a couple of hours. I guess it's hard to tell whether deaths are caused by overfeeding though. 

I got some RO water and some salty shrimp remineralizer gh/kh. I did about a 20% water change which is larger than I normally do.

Still haven't received the gh/kh test in the mail yet but my TDS went down from around 250 to 220. I also did some cleaning up by removing some things I deemed unnecessary and just taking up space like a shelter and excess plants.

Hey guys. Finally got the gh/kh test in the mail and just did it now.

gh - 7

kh - either 2 or 3. Pretty sure it turned yellow on the second drop but it was almost like a clear water yellow almost. If not, then 3

TDS - 223

temperature - 74

I really couldn't tell what my pH was but it looked more like in the 6.8 to 7.2 range than it did 7.6 which I tested for last time. Too bad these API tests can be so uncertain. Shrimp are looking a lot more active today. I decided to drop in a piece of food and they actually ganged up on it tonight. The other night, they barely touched the amaranth leaf.