Stop me!

Jadenlea

Not only  has the change of seasons seemed to spur on the shrimp breeding but in the  last 2 weeks, the plants in my tank are starting to grow out of control. 

How do the plants and shrimp know its spring?

Anyway.   I have 4 first time berried mommas and another berried experienced momma.    The plants are making the tank look so cluttered and out of control.. and dark.   The Vals are blocking the light and the guppy grass and java moss are growing all the way to the top .

every time I look at the tank I feel the need to do a large overhaul but I know  it wont be good for the inexperienced berried shrimp.

Stop me!

I think that even indoors, they are getting enough daylight to realize that the days are getting longer. There may also be atmospheric changes that we are not sensitive to. Some animals also have a natural yearly cycle, and they "know" what season it is and when it is time to have mating season. Sometimes this will result in exotics in the wrong hemisphere having babies at the incorrect season.

Trimming wont hurt anyone. I did a whole rescape with half my females berried and they ignored me the whole time. If after the trim you need to top off then just do RO water and you can do a slow pour/drip if that makes you feel better.

I move berried females all the time when doing selective breeding, and that includes scooping them out of the water with a net an 0 issues so far.