feeling so stupid right now

sewoeno

purchased some red tigers. had a tank ready and cycled but decided to test the ph and its at 5!! i can't put those poor shrimp in there. my end goal is to breed them with my red crystals but now i think i have to keep them all together for a while. i have no idea what to do!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP ME!

Serious lack of information here.  What is the source of your water??  RO/DI??  Tap??  Do you have TDS meter?  Do you have carbonate and General Hardness test kits -- if not you need all of those to do this correctly.  If so -- what's the GH, KH, and TDS?  What did you use to test your pH?  It it's a meter when was it last calibrated?  What is the substrate you're using?

My first impression would be to question the validity of the pH test. -- but it's hard to do that without more information.  

oh i know WHY the ph is 5.. i was just hoping it wasn't that low. i'm using controsoil, distilled remin with mk breed blue diamond. its perfect for my TB's but i ended up moving those to a different tank and screwed myself. i sectioned off one of my fish tanks and put them in for now... until i move in a month and can set up a whole rack!

I keep my red tigers with my PRL and they are fine, in fact just had a female give birth and another is currently berried. pH is ~6.2

pH low might due to excess Nitrate.  nitrate + water will decrease the pH.  do 50% water change and test the pH again.  even pH s 5, I have seen people put CRS with that pH.  good luck!

the tank is completely cycled. i just think its my use of distilled and controsoil that made it that super low. oh well! my scarlet badis love it right now. haha

the tank is completely cycled. i just think its my use of distilled and controsoil that made it that super low. oh well! my scarlet badis love it right now. haha

Even tho it's completely cycle, nitrate is the end product of the cycle. To remove that unless u have plants to uptake that as nutrient or water change. Anyways, as long as ur shrimps like the environment, who cares! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even tho it's completely cycle, nitrate is the end product of the cycle. To remove that unless u have plants to uptake that as nutrient or water change. Anyways, as long as ur shrimps like the environment, who cares! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes many plants and bi-weekly water changes.