Test kit recommendations?

Keiris

I like the nutrafin test kit. Its pricey but i needed it when i was breeding discus. Im sure others will disagree with this but i found it to be accurate. Now i use it for shrimp tank and i just ordered an ez tds pen from amazon today.

I used the api master test kit and find it does the job for keeping neos. if u want cheap snd only have neos then it's fine. the only test of theirs that I really dislike is nitrate. its too easy to mess up and get a false reading! and not very accurate at all. but if used properly its good enough for neos..

ive also use the API calcium and gh/kh testkits. the gh/kh kits arent wonderful but they do give a rough guide.

same with calcium but if you test with 20ml instead of the standard 5ml then you get 5ppm accuracy with the Ca test.

for other tests I use aquasonic which is an oz brand. I just found out recently the salifert nitrate tests down to 0.2ppm if u keep bees or crs etc then that is awesome !

hope that helps.

love n peace

will

I just got a Sera nitrate kit - much harder to find than Salifert, it seems, but the individual kits are not quite as expensive.

I am one of those oddities who uses dip stick tests. I've been using Tetra brand and the ease of use means I check weekly even though nothing is wrong with my tanks. If I have any suspicions that the results are not good, I go get the liquid tests (I have API for the most part, as my problem is mainly with the pH and nitrate tests). They have not disagreed so far.

I also use the Seachem in-tank ammonia dot. It measures free ammonia and not total ammonia nitrogen, which is fine for me. Hey, it hangs there and I look at it when I feed and dose the tanks. It does not get any easier than that.

I've only seen pH and free ammonia. The ammonia one needs to be replaced yearly but is not expensive. I've checked mine against total ammonia and then referencing a chart that says how much free ammonia is present depending upon pH - the results matched. So I trust it. I know some people have complaints about it, I don't understand why though.

I did look into a digital nitrate reader, but I think the least expensive one I found was $250 (US). I don't really make that much money!

hmm pH would be handy to watch the drift even if its not very accurate. ill have to look into it if its only a few dollars or less. I only have neos and guppies and they are very forgiving creatures when it comes to water parameters so its probably not really necessary until I move into more delicate caridina :-)

love n peace

will