Upping my Co2 game, yo!

Desiree

OK, so I think I'm ready to take my planted aquarium to the next step.

I've had aquariums since I was a kid (well when I was a kid my dad had aquariums/ponds) and while I really like the stark look of a bare tank (how my dad raised his angels and dsicus), I love a beautifully planted aquarium more than anything. I recently broke down my mid light 15g and transferred my plants that were doing well over to a 5.5g that I had empty when one of my betta's died. This happened a little under three weeks ago and my plants in that 5.5g are flourishing under two finnex planted+'s, Flourish Complete and Co2 dosing. It's super stuffed in there, I really need to start thinning things out which is why I'm here.

I want to take my 20L RCS tank and turn it into a nicely planted tank. I just just need a tiny bit of help with Co2. Particularly the regulators. Also, what is a solenoid? Bubble Counter? Diffusor?! Co2 proof tubing?!! Check Valves?!!!!!!! :huh: OK, so I know what a check valve is and Co2 proof tubing and the general idea of a bubble counter but I'm totally at a loss for the regulators, diffusors and seriously, solenoid, that's like a fake sciency word that would be used on Star Trek! I'm not a 100% lost on what to do, only like 90%-95% because I do know how to use google and I can read, but most people start off talking about Co2 like you already know everything about the subject and I get so confused. I just need someone to point me in the direction of what I need to do first. A site or write up on the parts of a Regulator and what everything does, how it works etc; if it has a chance of exploding I want to know what can cause it, why it would happen and how to prevent it would be particularly helpful.

I was on Amazon and eBay looking at regulators and I didn't know what to look for. What's a reputable brand? What's a good price point? The LFS in Miami are lacking, particularly when it comes to freshwater (errybody want a saltwater tank, yo!), there's a decent one that sells just freshwater fish and plants (where I get most of my plants) but that's like it so everything will be researched and then purchased online when I'm back from vacation at the end of June. I'm planning on doing a Hemianthus Callitrichoides/Glossostigma carpet, any suggestions? Halp!

I live, like walking distance from a welding supply place so I know I can prolly pick up a filled Co2 tank there once I get the regulator.

Des

P.S. this is desireenfh, changed my username to just Desiree because I could. :D now to see if I can delete my old username...

When it comes to CO2 Regulators, you get what you pay for. If you know how to build it yourself, that's the cheapest way. The ones on Amazon are hit and miss. Some will receive good ones that work for long time while others will receive ones that break in months.

I would prefer GLA(Green Leaf Aquarium) because of their very long warranty(3 years). The ones on Amazon are only 90 days to cover the A-Z claim period.

I also got my regulator from Green Leaf Aquariums. Works great for me. Expensive but great quality. As Poopians wrote, you get what you pay.

Thank you both, my limit was around $200 so another $5 or so isn't going to bother me. That gla is a great place funny I've never heard of it before. I think I'll need to read up on the EI method of ferts since my method can only be called haphazard! But on the weaker side of haphazard. This is prolly going to take a while since I have to move the cherrys and I'm in the middle of trying to set up a CRS tank and work and friends and family (4th of July BBQ, y'all!). But I guess since I'm doing less research I'll have more time to play WoW! I'm totes in withdrawal. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you both, my limit was around $200 so another $5 or so isn't going to bother me. That gla is a great place funny I've never heard of it before. I think I'll need to read up on the EI method of ferts since my method can only be called haphazard! But on the weaker side of haphazard. This is prolly going to take a while since I have to move the cherrys and I'm in the middle of trying to set up a CRS tank and work and friends and family (4th of July BBQ, y'all!). But I guess since I'm doing less research I'll have more time to play WoW! I'm totes in withdrawal. :D

Make sure you find a place to fill up co2 first and take a visit down there. It's usually $10 cheaper to buy the cylinder there and filled up.

Make sure you find a place to fill up co2 first and take a visit down there. It's usually $10 cheaper to buy the cylinder there and filled up.

Yeah I live across the street and down the road from a warehouse area and through googling I saw there was a welding supply store quite literally walking distance from me and from their website I saw they did refills, I'll just have to phone them tomorrow to make sure they'll be able to do refill my tank, which I'll more than likely purchase from them as well.

Whoa, read that in one breath! Ha.