Switch to RO Water

I'm considering making the switch to RO water and am looking for advice/guidance on the best method. The water that I'm currently using has the following parameters:

TDS: 113

GH: 7

KH: 6

PH: 8

The water I would be using with the RO Filter would have a PH more like 6.8, I'm not sure whether the filter might lower that a bit or not. 

I would plan to use the Salty Shrimp GH/KH+ and it's my understanding that I would be shooting for a TDS in the 150-200 range. Is that correct? I am currently just keeping Fire Red Shrimp but was thinking of adding something like OEBTs once I get the hang of things.

Can I make the switch over time during regular water changes, just replacing 10% or so with RO water? If so should I introduce the new water via slow drip since the parameters will be different? Is there a better way?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Neos are pretty hardy in my experience. The way I did it was drained the water until there was only about an inch left and then just started dumping the ro water in like a normal water change.

I don't recommend doing it that way though, it worked for me but I still suggest dripping the water in slowly instead of just dumping. I would hate for your shrimp to die doing something I recommend that's why I say drip it lol.

Other then that I think changing it all out at once its pretty safe.

I am making the swap to RO/DI as well on all my tanks since I got my own filter for it now. I am doing small water changes on my neo tanks with remineralized RO water and they seem to only be happier so far. My pH difference isn't as big as yours, but I think they should adapt ok as long as you do it in steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been doing the same in my fire red tank. Was originally using tap water, and TDS was ~280. So I switched to DI water remineralized with SS KH/GH+ to ~170. I have been doing 10% water changes every week or so, and the TDS in my tank is slowly going down. It's at ~230 right now, and goes down a bit with each water change. The shrimp are doing great, and I have more and more babies.

• 3 weeks later...