The "Natural-ness" of a Shrimp tank.

Faralon

So I'm sitting here this am staring at my newly setup Mischling tank (my 1st shrimp tank ever), and I'm just enjoying how "natural" the setup, care, and feeding is.

I just placed an Indian Almond Leaf into the tank. A dead, dried up leaf! It will not only provide sustenance to the shrimp, but also assist with water quality...a dead dried leaf!

The other foods I have for them are made from spinach, garlic, soybean shells, all natural stuff.

Substrate made from volcanic ash, petrified wood, driftwood, and plants...

For some reason I'm just feeling the Zen of the tank this am. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree! One of the joys of a shrimp tank, its a snippet of nature in your house that you control all factors in the success of your little inhabitants.

When I was a kid I had a couple fish tanks with the clown puke gravel and plastic plants. Looking back on it, that was awful. I thouroughly enjoy sitting and looking in my shrimp tanks and watching them scavenge the plants, driftwood and substrate. I imagine if I was a shrimp I would enjoy living in there.

Sure, here is a FTS as of right now.

66bfaa8355b75fc1d4832a29f1b22966.jpg

The Dwarf Chainsword near the DiscoBee sticker has already put out two new growths via the runner you see moving toward the sticker.

The shrimp are mostly hanging out in the Java Moss and Anibius Nana currently. There are 8 shrimp in this photo, with two more behind the driftwood.

099280f914f4fe71b73226de12964d41.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Love it my friend! Awesome tank. Simplicity is the best. Shrimp keeping can be very relaxing :) 

I use tanks in my office. It is amazing to see the kids with ADHD settle down annd the autistic kids track the changes and details from week to week. Aquariums have been clinically shown to lower blood pressure, help ADHD sufferers to focus, and even affect Alzheimer symptoms. It is really cool that you pointed out your thoughts on your setup Faralon.