First shrimp tank, am I missing anything?

NotKelly

This is probably a topic I should've made before actually getting my shrimp... but I was too excited I ordered them without double checking.

So I just got my dream blue velvets in the mail today (yay!! first dwarf shrimp for me other than ghost shrimp which I couldn't for the life of me raise the larvae stage babies) and I'm wondering if I'm missing anything. I have driftwood, java moss, a pvc hiding thingy I made, a flower pot on the side for another hiding spot, some random plants, and cuttlebone. I read that they weren't picky with their water, so my water is just half tap water and half RO water from the grocery store drinking water machine out front.

Am I missing anything? Also what is your guys opinion on cuttlebone? I've seen articles praising it to the high heavens and some say that they hate it.

Shrimp are and are not picky about their water, depending on what kind of shrimp you have. They can become use to 'bad' water over time, but there are water prams you should stay in if you want them to live and breed. I will assume the tank has been cycled and aged; that you have checked and your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels are zero and that you have purchased something to remove chlorine and chloramine. A general fresh water test kit is always good to have on hand plus test kits for GH and KH. A cuttlebone is not needed, but if your heart is set on it. Neos are a tougher shrimp in general, but some of the color morphs (mostly those that are not cherry shrimp) can be more sensitive to their water.

A

Though many people say Neocaridina aren't picky that is not entirely true. You still need to check your water parameters and properly acclimate them to your water to ensure the best survive-ability.

I mixed the water because I had originally filled the tank with straight up tap water which here is around ph 6.8 and hardness way high around 200. So I kept doing water changes with RO water. I work at petsmart and so I just brought my water in and tested it so I didn't have to buy strips(hehe) and my coworker told me she uses just straight tap water for her cherry shrimp so I wasn't too concerned. I've had them for three days now and I acclimated them slowly over 3 hours and I've had no deaths. Now just hoping they'll breed =D

If you're keeping neos, you want your pH to be closer to 7 and TDS closer to 200. Mixing RO with your tap will lower both ph and tds, which will not be ideal for them. You already have most shrimp essentials: a cycled tank (hopefully!), driftwood, moss, hiding places, etc. One shrimp essential you' will want to get is leaf litter - lots of leaf litter. Indian Almond Leaves (aka Catappa) are almost a must, and you can get those relatively cheap anywhere (I recommend discobee.com, buypetshrimp.com, or hanaquatics.com). Other leaves you can use are mulberry, oak, amaranth, and banana. These can be picked off pesticide-free trees if you have one nearby and dried (in a dry, warm/hot place, but not directly in the sun) before putting into your tank. (I boil mine prior to putting in the tank just in case.) Alternatively, you can buy these on the websites listed above.

You'll also want to feed them a source of protein. Frozen bloodworms work great, but you can also go with a high protein food like SL-Aqua MORE Meat. I feed these once or twice a month.