Pinto shrimp project

Evening everyone, I wanted to start a pinto project but I didn't have enought tanks to start breeding tibee. My plan is to buy some tibee, joes aqua has some fancy red tigers but would those be able to help reach my pinto goal since the patterns on the shrimp don't have any tiger patterns.

I have both the black spotted head mischlings (which carry the pinto genes) and Fancy Red Tigers (which carry both tiger and taitibee genes)  I bred one of my BSM to a German Black Pinto and got both pinto mischlings and a pinto baby out of the cross.  Unfortunately I lost them after the 1st molt.

You need to start with something that already has either the Pinto genetics (Mischlings or Pinto themselves) or Taitibees.

Joe's Aqua is where I got my BSM from so you would be ahead of the curve if you grabbed some of those and put them in with your BKK or Wine Reds as they already carry the genetics to make Pinto.  

Once you have offspring you separate them and breed them together (doubling up on the Pinto genetics)

This is how I understand it.  Its a little complex and we all don't really know how it works yet, but its fun to watch what the new generations look like as they arrive. 

PS: I talked to Dreamer Yoyo and learned that these crossbred shrimp have a harder survival rate due to losing the eggs too soon or babies not making it through the 1st molt (as mine have done) so if you get them to survive to adults you are doing great!

I started a Pinto project in February of this year, keep in mind I am in no rush, but wanted to start from the beginning. creating my own Tibee

I have since created my own Tibee from an OEBT female and BB male. I am now crossing my TIbees back to my Taiwan Bee population as they are reaching breeding age. Once you breed your Tibees back to a Taiwan Bee you will have TaiTibee shrimp, from then on you need to continue breeding these TaiTibee either with themselves for more generations or back with more Taiwan Bees. Pinto is not a type of shrimp but a pattern, fishbone, zebra, skunk, etc. For most of us we are trying to breed on F2, F3, F4, etc in hopes to reach one of these patterns that we can then selectively breed for our own traits.

Hope this helps a bit.

Thank you Daryl and Monty for the help! I understand this now except what do I separate after I breed the pinto mischling with a tb? The culls and the good looking one?

Your welcome Jay! After you breed the TaiTibee with a TB, you look at the offspring, you then need to decide what pattern and/or traits you like the most and start selective breeding. If you don't care about pattern or uniqueness and want just pinto patterned shrimp, then you can simply leave all offspring within the tank, or cull all offspring that aren't pinto patterned to another tank, and let them continue breeding. Don't expect Pinto shrimp within the first generation, I have only seen them popup as early as F2 forward.