playing with a new idea for my marina breeder box

So I thought about doing this to my large marina box to help baby shrimp survive better.

I am going to cut a piece of large holed foam (Fluval Aquaclear 110) is what I use, cut it to

fit on one side of the box with a hole for an airstone down inside it.  This will give me both

a great biofilter and place for babies to crawl into and snack on this while they grow up a bit

before going into the main tank.

I usually keep my babies in the box for 3 weeks (after the 1st molt) then let them loose.

I have an OEBT gal in the box right now, so going to try my setup with her, see how this goes.

This sounds like a great idea, thanks for sharing. Do you do anything to make the outflow gate more baby shrimp safe? Those slots seem like they would be big enough for them to slip back into the tank.

2808wn6.jpgYes I use a piece of plastic craft square (for hooking rugs) and cut it to fit tight, then I put a piece of floss or course foam in behind that. (you can just see it sticking up its white)

Usually that's enough to keep babies in, but occasionally one will figure out how to do it. 

Here's a pic of what I did.  I used a piece of the foam that I had in another tank already cycled with biofilm on it.  Cut a slit in the far end and stuck the airstone down against the end....so far so good.