Planeria

Sunsetsearider

I did a big trim today and tonight I noticed a couple of worms in my feeding dish.  After pulling it and looking at them with a magnifying glass, they are definitely planeria.  I believe this is an issue.  If so, does anyone have experience getting rid of them.  My shrimp numbers have been decreasing.

Thanks 

Planaria come from over feeding or left over food. Try doing a little bit of food at a time and see what your shrimp can finish in an hour. Also there are many threads about planaria removing... its somewhere here that i read about 2 days ago. But people reccomend a dog dewormer if i remember. If im wrong someone please correct me

yup read the fenbendazole and shrimp thread in the care,feeding, and breeding section. You can have many people tell you their experiences about things they use to remove planaria, and if it works or not

Yup don't do that. Better to under feed than over feed. It's ok though you learned. So all you need to do is find the right planarian killer. For me I used to have a bunch of planaria, when I was observing my tanks daily I used to pick the huge ones with some tweezer. And then all of a sudden they all disappeared so now I have no more planaria.

I definitely agree with all that has been said so far, use a planaria trap or No-Planaria by Genchem, both work well depending on the abundance of planaria.

Read up a bit on the biology of planaria. If you do indeed have them, handpicking is not 100% effective.

I suggest a trap to determine if you do have them (you can pull the tube out and get a real good look at them) and then dose chemicals when you have confirmed they are planaria.

If you cut back on feeding, and trap and handpick, you can probably keep the numbers down, but it is likely there will still be some in the tank.

Also keep in mind, if you have been overfeeding this will affect water quality, and could be a factor in shrimp losses.

Thanks,

They are definately planaria.  I caught two of them in a food dish and looked at them with a magnifying glass.

I have slowly been loosing shrimp.  My parameters are good.  I've only over fed the last week or 2 after I got some nice shrimp foods. I just started using the dish and that's the reason I saw the worms.   I also lagged an extra week on a water change and my tank was overgrown with lots of dead stuff in the shade, so maybe the disruption and better circulation got them out in the open

I pulled my snails and added some Fenbendazole at a little under .1g/10 Gal.