Air, Filters, Sponges Oh My!

So I have this fluval 6.6g which is the vertical model that comes with the filter in the light thingy (i figure lots of you know what this is lol). Its been cycled for 2 months, shrimpers added 2 weeks ago.

I find this filter kind of sucks and needs some air or an extra sponge filter to kick the water up a bit since the water column is so "tall". What do you guys think? Im not happy with it as is and need a bit of advice upon which route to follow.

Air stones and the like move the water around with such vigor I think it may be too much movement. An extra filter (sponge) down in a corner would help dramatically although would the two filters be over kill? Can you even have filtration overkill? Also i was thinking of screening the existing filter intake with something to protect shrimplets from getting sucked up but what and how?! Its a very awkward square...

Your opinions and advice are appreciated! [emoji4]

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

I run two filters on all my tanks. I have a corner filter with bio media in it and i have the double sponge filters everybody and their mom uses. I'd say get a sponge filter, shrimp love to graze on them plus you'll have another place for good bacteria to grow.

So I have this fluval 6.6g which is the vertical model that comes with the filter in the light thingy (i figure lots of you know what this is lol). Its been cycled for 2 months, shrimpers added 2 weeks ago.

I find this filter kind of sucks and needs some air or an extra sponge filter to kick the water up a bit since the water column is so "tall". What do you guys think? Im not happy with it as is and need a bit of advice upon which route to follow.

Air stones and the like move the water around with such vigor I think it may be too much movement. An extra filter (sponge) down in a corner would help dramatically although would the two filters be over kill? Can you even have filtration overkill? Also i was thinking of screening the existing filter intake with something to protect shrimplets from getting sucked up but what and how?! Its a very awkward square...

Your opinions and advice are appreciated! [emoji4]

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

You can never have enough filtration. We can never duplicate what nature can. Water flow is a different story.

Christine Ha is a member and I hope she doesn't mind but take a look at her youtube video on shrimp proofing your tank