Moving Moss from tank with BBA to tank w/o BBA

BigXor

Unfortunately I have BBA in my display tank and wanted to moved some moss to a new shrimp tank.

I only use Peacock Moss and know from experience that H2O2 kills it. So I tried a 1:20 mixture bleach that I neutralized the pH with KH2PO4 to 7.0 (bleach is 14 pH).

I started with this moss screen:

10days.jpg

A precise dip of three minutes bleached the chlorophyll from the leaves. It didn't die, but it didn't regain it's color. The new growth is dark green and the old growth is still yellow.

bleachmoss1.jpg

So how do I kill algae on moss?

I killed bba on my Java moss with 1/2 hydrogen peroxide and the other 1/2 tank water. I put the whole portion of moss in a cup with the solution for 40 minutes. After 40 minutes is done I took it out and rinsed it in the sink then put it in a new cup with just tank water. The next day all the bba turned pink/ red and dead.

post-1845-0-99758100-1448638398_thumb.jp

I killed bba on my Java moss with 1/2 hydrogen peroxide and the other 1/2 tank water. I put the whole portion of moss in a cup with the solution for 40 minutes. After 40 minutes is done I took it out and rinsed it in the sink then put it in a new cup with just tank water. The next day all the bba turned pink/ red and dead.

I'll have to try some at 1/2 strength. I was using full strength and it killed my moss.

Not to worry, I pulled it off and put some fresh on. The bleach worked on some of my stems, but the moss just didn't like it.

I just switched my tank back over to low tech. Seems the BBA took hold with and without CO2. All CO2 did was make me prune the plants all the time.

I'm more interested in the shrimp and fish than messing around with plants.

As far as BBA goes, I think it has something to do with light intensity. The leaves of the swords closest to the light had more BBA on them.

I have a four bulb t5HO. I disconnected every other bulb, so I have two bulbs on two timers. One of the bulbs is a 4000K for my viewing, set at 12 hours and one 6500K for plant growth set at 4 hours in between. I snipped off all the BBA leaves and I'll see how that does.