Suspect I need iron?

Louie

Plants in this tank are growing well without C02 but the green isn't a green as it should be .

Other than weekly water changes I do not add anything because the filter has Purigen in it  . Tank is 6 months old but new plants look ''weak on the green'' color .

Most are vals which are covering the bottom and spreading well but as you can see not as green as should be ,

I suspect this is lack of iron ?

post-74-0-38789200-1450178877_thumb.jpg

Yip,

All new growth that goes yellow in new growth tips is iron deficiency and old growth that goes yellow is nitrate deficiency .

You can add seachem comprehensive, that has iron and trace elements in, so basically all micro nutrients without any phosphate and nitrates

Yip,

All new growth that goes yellow in new growth tips is iron deficiency and old growth that goes yellow is nitrate deficiency .

You can add seachem comprehensive, that has iron and trace elements in, so basically all micro nutrients without any phosphate and nitrates

Thank you .I looked it up .

The fish in that tank only eat thawed worms or cull shrimp so imagine lack of fish food nutrients may have short changed the plants as my other tanks don't have this plant weak green look.

My only dilemma is that I use Purigen in my filter .   I suspect it will remove most of the dose . 

My plan is to dose once every 2 weeks and for few hours place the Purigen in cup of tank water for couple hours  .  I cant think of any other option .

Either way I just ordered it , Thanks

Hi Louie

Yes it is.
I used to be quite heavy into aquascaping but the shrimp bug has bitten me lol, a new challenge.
They were high teck tanks with co2, high light and EI as ferts.
EI aka Estimative Index is where you make your own macro ferts with KH2PO4 and KNO3 and use a micro nutrient for iron and traces, like Seachem comprehensive.

Here is a link to some tanks

http://www.shrimpspot.com/index.php?/topic/4553-my-planted-tanks/

• 4 weeks later...