Starting cycle with tap water or RO/DI water?

So I'm about to start cycling my 5.5 gallon tank but I want to know before I start, if I should use tap water or RO/DI water?

my tap water (straight out the faucet):

ph: 7.4

TDS: 550 ppm  :startle:

my salty shrimp gh/kh+ hasnt arrived yet, but I found a local laundromat with supposedly very good RO/DI water. so what do you guys think I should do? Thanks.

nah, not a buffering substrate. Just regular inert aquarium sand from petco. Cool thanks, I wasn't sure if the minerals in the tap water helped/hurt the bacteria during the cycling process.

I would start with whatever you plan to WC/topoff with or at least match the parameters. Since you mentioned GH+/KH+, I'll assume you're gonna have a neo or tiger tank. Not super concerned with tap water for them. So if you can dilute your 550 ppm tap water with RO/DI to the parameters you're planing on remineralizing to, you should be good- as far as keeping your biofilter alive. This should be about half and half, maybe a little more RO/DI- that should land you around 200. If the pH gets too low, add a bit of baking soda to rebound it. This will bump up the KH too.

Yeah, lyana nailed it. If you're using inert substrate, no co2, but have plants, your pH should rise over time. If you have lots of driftwood/leaf littler, use co2, or have very little water movement, your pH should drop over time.