Hi I recently got two dwarf crayfish (male and female). The female molted about 1.5 weeks ago and everything was fine. Yesterday the male molted, which I got to witness, and after he was done I noticed he developed a lump on his side. 

I may have contributed to this as I touched him with a plastic wand when I first saw him on his side because I thought he had died. He quickly jump back then immediately proceeded to lay on one side and molt.

I hope the lump is not painful for him but if so is there anything I can do to make his little body more comfortable? So far I've only injected in the water API Stress Coat+ with  aloe vera. But I doubt it's making a difference since the stress coat is intended to remove chlorine from the water which I previously removed. The bottle says that it also replaces slime coat and repairs damaged tissue. But again, I don't know if this is enough or if I can do more to help him.

Both crayfish are equally active (or inactive). The only difference I've noticed is that she's eating whatever I offer her, he much less so. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hmm. This could have to do with you touching him right as he was in the vulnerable stage, though I can't say for sure. Either way, it looks like it's not so much a lump as it is a misshapen exoskeleton, which is good. I would think future molts will improve the shape, maybe right away but otherwise progressively. As long as his behavior remains normal, I wouldn't stress too much.

On April 9, 2016 at 8:43 AM, avonsurfernc said:

looks like a fungus growth. that is nasty looking:ass: I have a feeling she will be checking out soon!

You're right. She didn't make it past a week. ?

• 7 years later...