Nutrients and moss+ Buce

Subtletanks91

I guess this could be categorized in the ferts and shrimp thread, but it made more sence to compile the information here.

I got my pps pro dry fert set from nilocg on tpt. Whom many of you know. But this is kinda a plant specific question.

What nutrients do moss and bucephalandra take in from the water column exactly. And at what mix/gram would I mix them to create a water base solution to dose into the shrimp tank. My theory is that if I can dial into the exact mix of nutrients these two species require, that I can cut the Spirogyra algae to almost non existent due to the plant competition.

Any ideas guys?

I don't know the answer to your question. However, I think it all would depend on how much light you have going and how heavily planted your tank is. How much would your mosses need to compete for nutrients? Co2?  It's difficult to say. I dosed EI for the longest time and was constantly battling algae. I switched back to the Seachem dosage chart and dose 1/3 the recommended dosage and everything is flourishing with very minimal algae. Once in a while a bit of BBA shows up on some of my anubias and I blast it with some Excel at water changes and it goes away. I have mosses growing very well in my 12g heavily planted tank which I dose (very little) and add co2 1 bp 3 seconds. I also have mosses growing very well in low light, cool temps and good flow. I keep the flow directly over the moss which I think helps it alot. Most of this I found out by trial and error.

Maybe a little more info on the tank would help.

10g with a planted plus light. Craft mesh attached to diffuse the light to low medium and raised 5inches above water line

9 types of moss

About 25-30 Buce

Polygonum k.

Amazonia

My theory was to dose only what the moss and Buce would consume and what they need to thrive to battle the algae that's in the tank. My theory could be totally wrong though and it could cause an outbreak of some other type of algae.

My 25g cube I found the sweet spot in the trinity, and now algae is almost non existent. But it also took me a few months to be able to do that adjusting co2 and fert to my lighting and plants needs.

As of now I just go in with a tooth brush and spin as much spiro as I can up and pul it out,