Hello!

ShrimplyDez

Hey everyone! I'm Dez. I have been on this forum since November I think, but I just bought my first shrimp on April 12th (six days ago). I have been saving up to buy some Golden Back Yellow Neos, but until them I just wanted to add a little more entertainment to my 1.5 gallon betta tank. I got six ghost shrimp from my LFS. Two of them were berried, so I was super excited. But I forgot to check the water for ammonia and nitrate, so my betta jumped out. I did about an 80% water change at 11 o'clock that night, tested the water and everything was fine. But he jumped out again so I think he didn't like the shrimp. They kinda took over his sleeping spot, so I'm thinking he was annoyed. So I separated them and then everything was fine. But I woke up the next morning and one of my berried ones was all dried up on my desk. I covered the tank until I could get a bigger one. So now I have 5 ghost shrimp in a 10 gallon tank with DHG, eco-complete substrate, an Aqua Tech 5-15 filter with sponge and ceramic rings, and a 50W heater. I'm going to add a Top Fin Bonsai Tree and a bridge to make a little scene in the tank. I'm guessing it's not a good idea to put the betta in as well? So that's my tank's story for now.

So I'd like to keep Golden Back Yellow Neos, as I already mentioned. Is it possible to just add minerals and add them to the tank? Do I have to add the Bacter AE and the Mironecton powder under the substrate? And do I have to test the TDS? Is this absolutely necessary? Will the breed or fight with the ghost shrimp?

Welcome to TSS. First, lets make sure your tank is fully cycled. Keep checking your parameters until everything beings to settle down. Bettas are known to be jumpers, so make sure you keep that in mind. 

Second, once your tank is fully cycled and all you can add the Yellow Neos. Neos are not too demanding, they just require good clean water, feedings and some hiding spots for the little ones.

23 hours ago, jem_xxiii said:

Welcome to TSS. First, lets make sure your tank is fully cycled. Keep checking your parameters until everything beings to settle down. Bettas are known to be jumpers, so make sure you keep that in mind. 

Second, once your tank is fully cycled and all you can add the Yellow Neos. Neos are not too demanding, they just require good clean water, feedings and some hiding spots for the little ones.

My tank was cycled for between four and six weeks before I got the Betta, so I've got that covered. I cycled it with pure clear ammonia. So once I was sure that it was fine for my Betta, I got the shrimp. But I just forgot that I had taken my Betta out and added a drop of ammonia, so that's why it was in there. And I thought my plants would have cleaned the nitrates out, but they're slow about it.

What about additives? They don't need all the minerals and the TDS testing? I just want to be sure. Rather not get them and they all die, you know?