Do Shrimp Need Filters?

I believe if you have a large aquarium and few shrimp with water changes you could get away with it. They need very clean water. I do have several tanks with HOBs and an intake cover is all you need. Han has several mesh ones that I hear work really well, The foam intake sponge for the Fluval Edge seems fits most intakes for HOBs and some canister filters. Amazon has several listings for this type of sponge as well if you don't want to buy the official sponge.

=^._.^=

I use HOBs on all my shrimp tanks, I just put intake guards on them.

If you dont care about the aesthetics, you can just tie pantyhose over them too.

You definitely need filtration. In my opinion the sponge filters are inadequate by themselves. I use both a cheap HOB and sponge.  Shrimp do like to pick through the detritus that accumulates on the sponge, but I only trust the HOB to A. provide enough circulation to prevent bubbles of toxic buildup and B. pull out other toxins through charcoal etc.  Just feel more comfortable knowing the water is as clean as it can be and sponge filters alone don't fill me with the same confidence.

-Tom