Buying a used scratched acrylic tank?

My local fish store has a deal going, used 60 gallon tanks for 100 dollars. Now I made a post asking whats better, a 50 gallon tank or 3 10 gallon and everyone said the 3 10s, but I wanted to try something different :)

So, the issue with the tanks they are selling is that they are scratched up. Firstly, is that a good deal... Second, if I did get the tanks would I be able to remove the scratches? Thats the only concern my parents have, and thats why they wont buy that tank for me. If there is a way to remove the scratches, please let me know! Thanks

My local fish store has a deal going, used 60 gallon tanks for 100 dollars. Now I made a post asking whats better, a 50 gallon tank or 3 10 gallon and everyone said the 3 10s, but I wanted to try something different [emoji4]

So, the issue with the tanks they are selling is that they are scratched up. Firstly, is that a good deal... Second, if I did get the tanks would I be able to remove the scratches? Thats the only concern my parents have, and thats why they wont buy that tank for me. If there is a way to remove the scratches, please let me know! Thanks

Depends how deep the scratches are but superficial scratches can be sanded/polished out. Google "removing scratches from acrylic"

24 minutes ago, Mr. F said:

Depends how deep the scratches are but superficial scratches can be sanded/polished out. Google "removing scratches from acrylic"

Theres a few tanks with pretty deep scratches, but theres one with small scratches, the thing is that they are on alot of the tank :/

Would I need to buy a sander as well, or just do it by hand. Ill try and upload some pictures in a bit

A sander would definitely make things easier especially if they're over most of the surface. Otherwise it would be hard to make it even.

Hmm. A couple of those look doable, even by hand. Maybe practice with the sides before you do the front.

Are there overflow boxes built into the tanks?

55 minutes ago, Mr. F said:

Hmm. A couple of those look doable, even by hand. Maybe practice with the sides before you do the front.

Are there overflow boxes built into the tanks?

I sadly dont know what overflow boxes are, could they be these?

26857577894_d7708273bf_b.jpg

Would the top right corner be an overflow box? Please let me know what it is just so I can find out or explain for you

I sadly dont know what overflow boxes are, could they be these?

26857577894_d7708273bf_b.jpg Would the top right corner be an overflow box? Please let me know what it is just so I can find out or explain for you

Yes, the box in the corner. If you look inside there are (usually) 2 holes, an outflow and an overflow. You could always keep the level of the tank below the grating/seal it and use a HOB filter.

32 minutes ago, Mr. F said:

Yes, the box in the corner. If you look inside there are (usually) 2 holes, an outflow and an overflow. You could always keep the level of the tank below the grating/seal it and use a HOB filter.

I think it may have these holes, I may be able to go to the store tomorrow and check out all the details. What I am certain about is that it was used for a canister filter, now that I remember it also has a pre-drilled hole on the left :/

Ill make sure to check tomorrow, but apart from that, would the tank still be worth it overall, needing to still remove the scratches and suck?

I think it may have these holes, I may be able to go to the store tomorrow and check out all the details. What I am certain about is that it was used for a canister filter, now that I remember it also has a pre-drilled hole on the left :/

Ill make sure to check tomorrow, but apart from that, would the tank still be worth it overall, needing to still remove the scratches and suck?

It's hard to say. That depends on if you're willing to put in the work to clean it up. $100 for 60g acrylic is pretty good, but you could also get a glass tank or several smaller tanks for much less. IMHO, you would probably be happier in the long run with multiple 10gs for the sole reason that you'll be able to keep different colors of neos/different parameters in each tank.

Also you'll have to close up the holes. The one on the left is probably the inflow.

11 minutes ago, Mr. F said:

It's hard to say. That depends on if you're willing to put in the work to clean it up. $100 for 60g acrylic is pretty good, but you could also get a glass tank or several smaller tanks for much less. IMHO, you would probably be happier in the long run with multiple 10gs for the sole reason that you'll be able to keep different colors of neos/different parameters in each tank.

Also you'll have to close up the holes. The one on the left is probably the inflow.

Yeah, thats whats tough thing about it :/

The thing is I want to see both parts of the hobby, smaller nano tanks with shrimp and small fish and larger planted tanks. Ill create another fourm later explaining what I may do about the shrimp, but for now I think that I will be getting this 1 larger tank and decide, do I like the smaller tanks better or larger. I still will get more in the future for sure, but for now I think I will try something new.

Edit: Ill go make the other thread right now about another plan of mine...

Yeah, thats whats tough thing about it :/

The thing is I want to see both parts of the hobby, smaller nano tanks with shrimp and small fish and larger planted tanks. Ill create another fourm later explaining what I may do about the shrimp, but for now I think that I will be getting this 1 larger tank and decide, do I like the smaller tanks better or larger. I still will get more in the future for sure, but for now I think I will try something new.

Edit: Ill go make the other thread right now about another plan of mine...

In that case you could do this one planted on a canister and add adult shrimp later, maybe some nice fire reds. not necessarily to breed. Also, you could consider using the overflow with stainless steel mesh guards to block shrimplets from going into the filter! I'll switch over to the other thread. [emoji1303]