Stocking 60 gallon tank?

Jorge_

Hey guys, I just need help and suggestions on stocking my tank, Ill also post a few photos along with another question... So, here are the things I know. I really like albino cories and kuhli loaches, so would I be able to incorporate them together into my tank somehow? Also, I want something rather different then the typical angel stocking, since I see its pretty common to have angels as the main piece, a small school of fish, another nice pop out fish such as a gourami or rams, then the bottom feeders. Id rather not have that, and actually have a nice tropical community. So far, I want the cories and loaches... The other fish id like are cardinal tetras, or neon tetras... I heard that cardinals are more hardy, if so then those... But I would like those as the main centerpiece in the tank, I think it would be really cool to see them all in there. At the same time though, I dont just want the tetras.. So, if anyone could suggest any other fish I can keep or a different/recommended stocking for my tank that would be nice. Again, my tank is 60 gallons. One last question... Im going to post my tank and I just need some opinions and suggestions. Does it look alright? I guess you can call it "scaping", but I am fairly new so I am not the greatest. I also wanted to know what would look good in the empty area in the middle. Thanks everyone smiley.gif

fishtank.jpg

I have not ordered from this place but I like the look of their Super red flora and King cobra. http://www.macsdiscus.com/

I have a tank something like you are describing in a 55.

chili and lambchop rasps, celestial danios, scarlet badis, with some dwarf croaking gourami and some bloody mary shrimp

The problem with tiny fish in a large tank is people cant see them well at a distance, so as decor the tank looks empty.

Right now I have ~40 bettas in a 60 with some l134s and in the other 60, 13 discus (6 will go new 55 once it is built into bar wall). Discus are made for a 60 if you can get 6 at once.

3 hours ago, Crackhead Johny said:

I have not ordered from this place but I like the look of their Super red flora and King cobra. http://www.macsdiscus.com/

I have a tank something like you are describing in a 55.

chili and lambchop rasps, celestial danios, scarlet badis, with some dwarf croaking gourami and some bloody mary shrimp

The problem with tiny fish in a large tank is people cant see them well at a distance, so as decor the tank looks empty.

Right now I have ~40 bettas in a 60 with some l134s and in the other 60, 13 discus (6 will go new 55 once it is built into bar wall). Discus are made for a 60 if you can get 6 at once.

Is it really hard to clean the tank in a planted environment? I did some reseach considering them but then what killed me is this... The discus are pretty expensive, costing over 40+ dollars for a decent average. Ive read that they are pretty sensitive to water quality, I guess im alright at that, but its a different type of tank. I feel I can handle care for fish a little more difficult, as I have otocinclus and galaxy rasbora in my first tank along with some cherry shrimp. I have kept my water parameters the same until I would say two weeks ago, where we got a small ammonia spike to 0.25, which cleared up after a few days and some water changes. Would I really be able to keep that many bettas? That sounds like alot, can you send photos or videos of your tanks? Sounds unique and different. Exactly what I want! Thanks

Tank 2: is the one with small fish. I need to do a change as the tannins are building up more than I noticed.

Tank 1: has the bettas. You really do not want to try doing what I'm doing with the bettas, as everyone will tell you it is impossible, with good reason. If you really want to know I can tell you how to do this.

tank 3: is discus and the bulb on the right is going out. all of one color will go in a new tank once it is set up rather than on my floor empty. You would probably want white sand when it comes to breeding time (do not count on this ever happening).

I picked up the discus at 50% off the 2" price (all are at least 3") from LFS that was shutting down. It was a squeal of a deal.

As for cleaning you can tell by the built up mulm in tank one and a big pile of it in tank 2, that I only clean the glass in my tanks. Power filters (HOB or canister) do the rest.

Planting in a 60 takes some long arms. I really love 60s, they seem so much bigger than 55s for only 5 gallons more.

tank1.jpg

tank 2.jpg

tank 3.jpg

On 6/22/2016 at 11:15 AM, Crackhead Johny said:

Tank 1: has the bettas. You really do not want to try doing what I'm doing with the bettas, as everyone will tell you it is impossible, with good reason. If you really want to know I can tell you how to do this.

I gotta ask. Are those all males? I cant even put one into my 20L community planted tank without something going wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2016 at 10:39 PM, Mr. F said:

I gotta ask. Are those all males? I cant even put one into my 20L community planted tank without something going wrong.

I don't think so, that tank looks like female betta sorority. 

Most are female but there are also lots of low grade males.

The trick is that they are all one brood and the most aggressive/beautiful ones have been removed. There are some minor nipped fins but nothing bad.

The other trick may be the African cichlid trick, where if you put a ton of cichlids in a 15, that is really well fed and filtered, they will be fine but if you have a small number you would be losing fish. This works because the really aggressive ones will only chase another cichlid a short distance before finding a new one to chase. If you had just 4 in the same tank then you would have 3 then 2 then 1.

Basically the whole thing is "Don't try this at home kids".

Here is a dim pic that shows a few of the males. I used the sport setting as auto takes ~6 seconds to snap the pic in which case they all face the glass head on and move a lot, leaving a picture with colorful blobs.

So Sport gives really dim pictures but you can see the fish.. sort of.

bettas.jpg