Invert for Betta Sorority

Foxzhu

Hello, I'm looking for an invert that would help clean up and also hold it's own in a betta sorority without eating the fish. The bettas are quite messy eaters and I want to keep algae down. I tried amanos but they didn't last 24 hours. I'm thinking all dwarf shrimp would be out of the question. It's a planted tank with places to hide, but the girls love foraging around the plants and always find the shrimp. I'm open to anything as long as it will help clean, keep from getting eaten, and won't eat my fish. Also need to make sure it won't eat my plants. It's a 20 gallon long, planted, 76-82F. Any ideas?

RCS are a nice basic shrimp you can start with. If your females are finding he shrimp it probably means there aren't enough hiding places. BTW, how many females do you have in the sorority?

I could add a few more plants in there before trying the shrimp again, but it already has quite a lot: java ferns, java moss, ozelots, some swords, anubias, ludwigs, moss balls, some rocks they can dig under and a large piece of driftwood. The fish love swimming around looking for what ever they can find and ended up finding the shrimp. There are 7 females, nothing else.

Your ocelot is probably eating the shrimp.... Just kidding. In my experience large swords work for small shrimp tanks to provide multiple levels for inhabitants, but in a betta tank, this could cause an issue because, from my observation. They love to hang out on the tops of the leaves. Probably where they were getting munched the most. Maybe add more moss and some shrimp caves or teddy bear cholla. Realistically, I don't know if you're gonna be able to keep any shrimp with that many Bettas. If you're just looking for algae removers/detritus cleaners, you could get nerites or mystery snails.

It really depends on your bettas.

Do they have the murder in them?

Some of our do and will hunt down and kill any ghost shrimp in their tank. Others don't care. Currently my 60 gal betta community tank has ghost shrimp roaming it without a problem.

Other betta + ghost attempts have ended up with dead ghosts.

The ghost shrimp suck for algae control. On the other hand so to the L134s (need to get more than 2 and maybe then they will work? hard to find on the market these days.).

Again even with "shrimp safe" fish you may lose shrimp. My 55 tank with some rasps, otos and scarlet badis may have wiped out all my bloody mary shrimp, dwf croaking gorami might also be in tank. I haven't seen a live one in a week or more.

Thanks, probably just gonna get some nerites. Most of the bettas definitely have aggressive attitudes. I can't even put in other fish tank mates without them attacking. They're like mini piranhas. I've heard nerites can produce a lot of eggs that look pretty ugly and can be hard to scrape off. Anyone have experience with that?