Small breeding tanks

So after a lot of digging on the subject, I see that some of you use 2.5 gal's for breeding and I have a few questions on your upkeep schedule. I raise Wild Betta and have a handful of extra, small tanks between 1 and 3 gallons and would like to utilize them for shrimp but I am naturally wary. How many shrimp do you keep in these small tanks? How small of tanks have some of you gone breeding Caridina?

It just seems to me, a novice, that besides for the whole things going bad quickly thing, that smaller tanks are more efficient space wise. and for someone such as myself that have plenty of "bookshelf" type tanks, it is far more appealing (and cost effective) to just set these tanks up. I do, however, submit myself to the masters on this forum. If you guys think that I should bump my tanks size up, I'll certainly consider it.

Thanks guys!

I only just started keeping shrimp within the last year, but I've read numerous times that stable parameters are the key to success. Happy shrimp breed constantly. I currently have all my shrimp in 5.5 gallon tanks, but I'm about to pick up some 10 gallon tanks from Petco while their dollar per gallon sale is on. Doctors Foster and Smith sells Aqueon Versa-Tops for cheap.

I think a 5.5 can handle a nice sized group of neos. Opae ula probably wouldn't mind something smaller than that. It'd probably be best to have an optimal environment from the very start. I've only acquired caridinas recently, even a few TBs in the last month. They are beautiful. They are addicting. Once you get some, you'll want more. Start planning your rack now. 

My most populated tank has a shadow panda, 6 mischlings, a CRS, 12 aura blue x snow white tibees, and 10 or so carbon rilis. The shadow panda is the largest, only got it 2 weeks ago, and she just berried up 2 days ago. The father is most likely a mischling, since all the rest are still young. 

On 7/16/2016 at 1:56 PM, Ianhamm said:

So after a lot of digging on the subject, I see that some of you use 2.5 gal's for breeding and I have a few questions on your upkeep schedule. I raise Wild Betta and have a handful of extra, small tanks between 1 and 3 gallons and would like to utilize them for shrimp but I am naturally wary. How many shrimp do you keep in these small tanks? How small of tanks have some of you gone breeding Caridina?

It just seems to me, a novice, that besides for the whole things going bad quickly thing, that smaller tanks are more efficient space wise. and for someone such as myself that have plenty of "bookshelf" type tanks, it is far more appealing (and cost effective) to just set these tanks up. I do, however, submit myself to the masters on this forum. If you guys think that I should bump my tanks size up, I'll certainly consider it.

Thanks guys!

The bigger you can go the better. The larger the volume of water is the more stable and more forgiving it will be. You will have to be more diligent when it comes to tank maintenance and water quality with smaller tanks.  10 gallon tanks are generally cheaper than most smaller tanks especially during the dollar a gallon sale. I like 10's for breeding.

As a small tank keeper (3G JBJ Picotope), I have to be diligent with testing, water levels and maintenance. I have no experience with large tanks, but what I have are three nano's and they require a good amount of TLC. I enjoy it. When our children get older, we will do larger tanks out in the house. So for now, nano.