The art of fish-geek intervention...a "quick start" guide...

Tannin Aquatics

I've had the good fortune to be in this hobby pretty much my entire life, and to work with a lot of incredibly talented people during that time- most more talented than I could ever hope to be. Over the years, I've seen countless hobbyists find success while others have found nothing but failure. Among those who had the most difficulties in the hobby, I've found a few noticeable commonalities.

IMG_2707_large.JPG?9686838057637036188

This has never been more apparent than in my interactions with hobbyists each day when I co-owned Unique Corals, and now as sole owner of Tannin Aquatics. Marine or freshwater-doesn't really make a difference- the underlying theme is similar- Many of these "commonalities" are things that truly can be prevented or avoided if we offer a little wisdom and guidance.  Now, you personally may have made some of these mistakes, learned from them, and moved on.

IMG_3817_large.JPG?9686838057637036188

Other hobbyists you know might still be in "that phase", and knowing to recognize the signs can perhaps help you do an "intervention" that will keep them in the hobby! Today's little tirade is directed at those of you who find yourself in a position to advise a relative newbie now and then, and perhaps see the "washed out bridge ahead" when they don't. It's like a very succinct "Quick guide to helping prevent your friends from f------ up their aquarium keeping experience big time."

Yup. Rather catchy title, I think. Wouldn't you say?

So, for your "intervention", here are what I feel are the 4 most common "fatal" fish-keeping "traps"  that new hobbyists fall into, and how they can be avoided...(click to read more)