Pink Ramshorn Snail

Shrimpie123

I never thought I would have fish tanks. I have one. I never thought I'd have a planted shrimp tank. I now have two. And I NEVER thought I would EVER be interested in snails. I'm fascinated. 

I've been mesmerized at how my pink ramshorn snails will jump off a leaf or piece of moss. They just float to the next thing. So carefree.

I've been getting into ramshorns recently and got some leopard pattern ones for free from my LFS who thinks they're pests :P but I have been mesmerized as well with pinks and purples. Would love to get my hands on them! 

7 hours ago, ohmiko said:

I've been getting into ramshorns recently and got some leopard pattern ones for free from my LFS who thinks they're pests :P but I have been mesmerized as well with pinks and purples. Would love to get my hands on them! 

Oh wow. Silly LFS. I think I may have some to sell in the future. I bought six from alphaprobreeders and all have done well. They are beautiful. 

7 hours ago, Josh said:

My ramshorns love climbing up to the top and getting pushed my the filter current haha

Mine do the same thing! They go to the top and seem to purposely play in the current. I'm amazed at how they can easily get out of the current. I thought this was happening by accident and they were being bothered by the current but I beg and thinking it was on purpose. I'm not sure a snail is intelligent but I think it has its preferences. They just seem happy and playful.

1 hour ago, fernselvis said:

emoji854.png4fb8adec124125af812660f769db713f.jpg

so manyyyy is that a cucumber?

Nice healthy ramshorns!  With my lower pH water, it's hard for me to keep their shells nice and healthy when/if their numbers increase.  The snails do fine in tanks with diatoms,  or should I say 'tanks that HAD diatoms'; they are great little algae control helpers!  They also often float upside down on the water's surface to eat the protein film in tanks that have that.  I love the little critters too!

But lol, I gave my sister ONE snail for her 55g tank and her two young girls (the 4 year old loves snails).  Anyway,  I guess the snail was pregnant because in a month's time she has over 100!  

Hmm lol, my ramhorns do better in my bare-bottom shrimp/fry tanks.  I don't think there is enough diatoms in the planted tanks for mine to thrive.  With the lower pH, their shells tend to erode.

Mine have been dying because I have a submersible filter and they are climbing on it and their bodies get sucked into the filter but their shells don't so they just get stuck there and if I don't pull them out in time they dieeeee I lost 3 already :(

Mine too :(  I use sponge filters in my fry/shrimp tanks and use fine net pre-filters on my HOBs.  The netting helps keep them away.