Egg crate

Where do you guys get your egg crate for raising substrate level when setting up a tank? I haven't used this method before and I am on my next tank, I just need two 4 sq. ft. x 1/2" thick (or an equivalent amount of thinner ones) to get me my effect. 

Where do you guys get your egg crate for raising substrate level when setting up a tank? I haven't used this method before and I am on my next tank, I just need two 4 sq. ft. x 1/2" thick (or an equivalent amount of thinner ones) to get me my effect. 

Like the light fixture diffuser stuff? That's a great idea! Why didn't I think of that?!?!? Thanks BBF!

I get egg crate at Home depot or similar stores.It would be in electrical supply section I believe. BBF

6d4ccf377ffacf77720b7f9f50ead784.jpg

Thank you, BBF!!!

send me some (looks like you have extra [emoji14]).

it was on my shopping list for a project before you started the thread.

i go there today and they had none. :growl:

Haha, bummer! They only had 1/4" 2"x4", but I decided to double down and start two new tanks. Lol

Where'd you go? I went to Home Depot and asked and they said they didn't carry it, then I showed them a pictured and the dude knew exactly where it was.

what are good tools to cut that with?

I'm using a small pair of straight wire cutters and they're working nicely, but it feels like pvc, so lots of different blades will cut right through it.

BUMP NEED MORE HELP:

So, I plan to top it all with Amazonia, but how do I go about filling in the egg crate? At AFA the owner told me to get special power sand, or power sand, but then leveled with me that it's just small bits of volcanic (lava) rocks (special having all of the bacters in it). I agree this approach would increase water flow under the substrate and lead to less problems. So now I'm deciding if I should be looking for small (probably between 1/4" up to a little under1/2"pieces of lava rock on the cheap, or just go get the Special Power sand for $30 for just as much as I need... unless anyone has another approach! 

Thanks!

Nick