True confessions of a traumatized fish buyer...

Tannin Aquatics

Are you one of those hobbyists who's pretty easygoing when it comes to purchasing, acclimating, quarantining, and adding new fishes to your aquarium? Are you just sort of "systematic"- with a set procedure that's almost automatic ("Open bag, pour fish in bucket, drip, add to tank...")? Or, is each time sort of a unique, highly specialized, well-orchestrated process, with anticipation, frazzled nerves, and second-guessing? Or, are you like me- sort of somewhere in between?

shutterstock_248510671_51f06673-13e6-4f2

I don't know what it is, but it seems like whenever I purchase fishes, whether it's online or in person at the LFS, it's a double-edged sword for me. On one hand, when I "pull the trigger" and buy some fishes, it's an exciting experience, which leaves me childlike with euphoria!

And then I get home. (click to read more)

Great post, though the "pureed tetras" was traumatic just to read!

I'm actually in the process of setting up a 10 gallon quarantine tank for the first time ever for some freshwater fish I'm ordering from Rachel O'Leary. I'm struggling with the decision of how many fish I can order at once (to save on shipping).

I took a double sponge filter out of my established 20 gallon and will add another one (new), but I'm thinking I should probably make sure I cycle it anyway. So stressful.

16 minutes ago, sarah said:

Great post, though the "pureed tetras" was traumatic just to read!

I'm actually in the process of setting up a 10 gallon quarantine tank for the first time ever for some freshwater fish I'm ordering from Rachel O'Leary. I'm struggling with the decision of how many fish I can order at once (to save on shipping).

I took a double sponge filter out of my established 20 gallon and will add another one (new), but I'm thinking I should probably make sure I cycle it anyway. So stressful.

Yeah, the Tetra things is not one of my more proud moments...Although the genuine idea of being stressed about fish stuff seems a bit crazy to some, it does show you how seriously we take this stuff. If we leave the stress part our of it, the concern and attention to process that we show are great and very valuable traits for a hobbyist to possess. Oh, and for the sponge idea- I'm a big fan of having one somewhere in my tank- in the sump (if you have one), filter compartment, canister, etc. so those "impulse buys" that we never pull the trigger on are no biggie, 'cause we're ready! :lol: