Starting 55gal colony

Molls900

Hello!

My 55 gal is almost done cycling and I just had a random thought. I plan on starting the colony with around 15-20 shrimp but it recently occurred to me that the bio load of the shrimp may not keep the tank cycled until they begin to reproduce. 

Any thoughts on this? My original plan was to have a shrimp only tank. Thought I am not opposed to adding fish for the time being if anyone has some good tank mate suggestions. 

Hello!

My 55 gal is almost done cycling and I just had a random thought. I plan on starting the colony with around 15-20 shrimp but it recently occurred to me that the bio load of the shrimp may not keep the tank cycled until they begin to reproduce. 

Any thoughts on this? My original plan was to have a shrimp only tank. Thought I am not opposed to adding fish for the time being if anyone has some good tank mate suggestions. 

Snails are a good way to increase bioload and clean up extra shrimp food as well as algae. IMHO you will be okay. Since the bioload added by the increase in shrimp due to shrimplets will be incredibly small, your cycle should only slightly fluctuate and will equilibrate fairly quickly. You can also dose Stability or a probiotic once you notice shrimplets.