Pleasant surprises on the "road to darkness..."

Tannin Aquatics

Hard to believe we've been in business for a little over a year. During that time, hundreds of hobbyists have gotten to experience "The Tint", and have been enjoying planning, creating and managing blackwater, botanical-based aquariums. Many of you had never really worked with this kind of aquarium until you found us, and your whole "tint experience" was maybe playing with some peat moss or a few Indian Almond leaves.

As our collective experiences have evolved, we've developed not only techniques, philosophies, and expectations of how these aquariums work- we've developed 'best practices" and a more keen understanding of the long-term management of blackwater, botanical-influenced systems.

In the years that I've been working with these types of aquariums- and since we've began offering botanical products for creating blackwater aquariums, we've made bunch of personal discoveries- some of which were pleasant surprise...Let's look at what we think are the top 4 pleasant surprises:

[IMG]

Blackwater aquariums can be surprisingly stable, easy to manage environments- Despite the potential perils that a low ph, low alkalinity environment could bring, I've personally discovered- along with many of you- that these systems are surprisingly consistent once established. After some initial pH swings of a few points in the first weeks of existence, it seems like every blackwater aquarium I've set up sort of "finds it's own rhythm" after a month or so. 

[IMG]

Once you develop- and stick to- a routine of botanical "stocking and replenishment" (i.e.; arriving at a quantity of leaves and other botanicals that gives your tank the desired effect), and establish a regular water exchange schedule, then maintaining the environmental parameters in the tank has proven to be no more difficult than any other, in our experience. Basic water quality management and husbandry techniques that apply to any other type of tank are just as valid in a blackwater system. The aquarium "C and C's"- Your good old common sense and consistent habits- get the job done! (click to read more)