Gender of shrimps

It takes some practice. The underside of the males tail is on the straight side, females have a curve to protect eggs. Also on the female you can see what is called a saddle midway down her back. This is the ovaries. On the Opae Ula they are a very dark red. And of course females will be seen carrying eggs under her tail.

=^._.^=

The Opae'Ula vary in color, I have some nice dark ones down to some nearly white. If they have the dark brown area on the back that should be the saddle. Opae'Ula have very dark red eggs, so the immature eggs in the ovaries are dark. So I go under the assumption that any that have a saddle is a female and those who don't are male. Or immature females, I hear it takes seven months for them to mature. I haven't been able to tell very well on tail shape, because they are so small. How  Many do you have?

=^._.^=

The middle looks like a saddle. I had recieved Opae'Ula from two different sources, one arrived in March, the other September. The last batch had berried females two months later, the first didn't have berried females until eight months later, but half of them were berried. And I like your camera, I cannot get a good picture of my shrimp at all. How big is your tank/jar?

=^._.^=

Oh! So there might be a chance for me to see berried females then? :)

Wow, 8 months is long :o 

I'm used an iPhone 6 to capture these images! My jar is only about 800ml but I'm thinking of upgrading to a slightly bigger jar. 

Can any other shrimps be kept w opae ula?

Not that I know of. Opae'Ula are brackish water shrimp, the only ones I know of. All the other shrimp I keep are fresh water. There are salt water shrimp as well, but they will not go well with your shrimp.

=^._.^= 

oh okay! Maybe I'll start a fresh water tank/jar once I see that my current one is stable!

And do you know whats happening to my coral sand? Its turning yellow or like there's this yellow coating on them and on the glass as well.

:o