Over time...

Tannin Aquatics

If you keep a botanical-influenced aquarium for any length of time, you start noticing a certain vibe. A feeling. Right? It's weird, how some people just sort of "lock in" on these blackwater-type aquariums and really feel an affinity for them. And it's something I've noticed repeatedly, all around the world. There is some allure that blackwater offers.

And part of that allure is the way these systems seem to evolve.

IMG_3728_e8e18817-70ae-439a-a22d-e71697f

And one of the things that we've noticed a lot about blackwater, botanical style aquariums is that they seem to improve over time. I mean, they start our looking nice, albeit a bit "sterile", but as the water darkens, the botanicals soften, and a patina of biofilm appears, the whole scape looks more natural. More alive. More "rich", if you will.

IMG_3768_6b98d69c-df0c-4a19-a9de-0bee503

"Over time" takes on a different context for us impatient fish geeks, huh? We seem to love to see our systems look more established, and quickly! However, these botanical-influenced aquariums seem to lead us- tell us how they will evolve. Yet, we still can be a bit impatient. Waiting for some result, when what we really need to do is simply enjoy our aquarium at every stage of it's evolution. I wonder why we always want to see our tanks "done.
(click to read more)