"Botanical dynamics..."

Tannin Aquatics

Apart from, "What's the best botanical for________?",  the most common question we receive is "How many" can I use in a ___gallon/liter aquarium?"

14344071_1220259514683921_40785344191091

The "how many" question is one that is really difficult to answer in a concrete manner. Why? Well, for one thing, there are a lot of variables involved in determining this, and no real solid "right or wrong" answer, in my opinion. I think there is a certain "instinctive feeling" that we have to go on here.

IMG_4452_large.JPG?v=1475245750

Botanicals, like anything we add into our aquariums, will influence the environment in which they are submerged. As natural materials, in addition to the much-discussed tannins and humic substances, they contain organics and other materials (lignin, etc.) in their tissues, which are broken down slightly when prepared through boiling, and may continue to be released over time into the water, contributing to both the "richness" of the environment and to the "biological load", or "bioload" of the aquarium. (click to read more)